if i put on a blower, will the stock tranny need to be replaced soon?

RosstaGT50

Apr 4, 2005
that pretty much says it all. i eventually want to put a vortech s trim on my fairly stock 93 GT and i just want to know how the stock T5 will hold up to that kind of power. i really don't run the car hard although i know i will go to the track a couple times. what do you guys think? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Depends on your driving style. If you are ruff with the car, it'll break. If you are careful when you shift the Trans can last for a long time....

Also, the clutch (if it's still stock) will let go before the transmission on a setup like that.

The blower isnt gonna to be the thing to break the tranny, its gonna be our driving style. Of course, everyone who installs a blower usuall changes their driving style to a little more aggressive :rolleyes: I mean, come on... you got stick the revs high into the band to really feel that boost so thats what we end up doing... banging the gears inbetween is where the tranny gets upset.

But seriously, no, the blower isnt going to "require" a new tranny. An old abused tranny is going to require a new tranny :D

FYI, I drove my car like a redheaded stepchild for 17,000 supercharged miles without problems... then I threw 3rd gear syncho missing a powershift really really badly (at 120,000 miles). Good thing the family has tranny techs in it :rolleyes:

People who drive nicer get to enjoy their tranny longer.

I have a confession...

I'm a automobile abuser, It's been an addiction of mine for some time now.
I'm the guy that will beat his cars ass until something breaks, not only because i like to and my car likes it but because, if i cant drive my car to the full potential of my driving style (which im sure, most of you have the same driving style) then i have to upgrade what cant handle the abuse until its set up to my liking.

Your not buying a supercharger for looks i asume so, plan on buying the parts that cant handle the abuse if you wanna ROCK! rock duh du duh du ROCK! YOU WANT TO ROCK!? rock....

Keep on Keepin' on.

just baby it around and save up for a tremec. If you run it, its going to break. With stickier tires and a grippier clutch it'll break sooner, just take it nice and easy. Dont get on it, it only takes once to mess up a sycro or bend a shift fork, then your screwed.

In fact, buy the tremec first. Then buy the supercharger. Thats the way to do it, build up the driveline then start on the engine.

I've had my supercharger on my car since May. My tranny still shifts fine, but it whines VERY loud now. I don't beat on the car very much. I've made two 1/4 miles passes on drag radials and about seven 1/8th mile passes on street tires. I'm really hoping that the tranny will last through this summer. Poor little guy.