If you could do one thing really well.......what would that be?

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
I look at pictures of flawless paint jobs, I watch sheet metal fabricators build freakin awesome things from scratch, or videos of TIG mastery. Upholstery guys stich beautiful interiors together,...electronic guys wade through computer programming like it was their primary language,..
All of this mastery, none of which I can do "masterfully" has me thinking .."What would I really want to be reeaalllyyy good at?"

So,..that brings us to tonight's " All play" question............If you could do any of the above really well,...what would that be?

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Not sure if this would be my answer, but I too am amazed at what those custom upholsterers can do. Was just thinking that the other day as I watched a re-run of the Blue Suede Shoes Buick on Bitchin Rides.
That being said...... I’ll start thinking of what my final answer would be. Good question for sure!

I'd like to master upholstery... and fabrication... and body work.... and paint.... and electrical stuff...

Guess I'll master being the master of nothing...

Metal fabrication would be something I’d like to master too. I wish had learned a little more about construction as well. I know that’s not car related but...

Last edited:
I am one of those that dabbles into a lot of things but never masters one item. My interest level I guess stops me from ever mastering something as I am ready to move on to the next project or task before the last is fully finished. I have a need to push myself to finish the task at hand.

Paint. I would love to be able to lay down a nice paint job on, well anything. Painting is so satisfying when it comes out right, unfortunately most times I paint, it doesnt.

Entrepreneurial (??) skills and business management. Build and sell companies. Then, you have time to dabble in whatever you want and hire the masters for what you need.

Reactions: 1 users
Two chicks...

...at the same time.

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users
Upholstery and interior work for sure - I've only attempted to recover one seat bottom with absolutely no luck. I also tried to install a headliner, no luck there either. Past that, I guess I'd say paint. I've had some luck there, but other times not so much.....

Tig weld and fabricate .

Followed by being a machinist capable of building high dollar engines

After that would be a painter for sure .

Reactions: 1 users
@jrichker
ok, how would the 'sultan of strategic information ' answer this question?
of the choices given of course.

It actually crossed my mind when I was pondering that question that “I wish I had the knowledge @jrichker has”.
My dad had a great electrical mind, and I tried to suck up as much info as I could, but unfortunately time ran out!

Reactions: 2 users
It actually crossed my mind when I was pondering that question that “I wish I had the knowledge @jrichker has”.
My dad had a great electrical mind, and I tried to suck up as much info as I could, but unfortunately time ran out!
This hobby and my profession I owe to my father . Unfortunately his health didn’t allow him to stick around for me to get to an age to pick his brain . With all the stuff I have been so lucky to turn wrenches on and learn on id give anything to pick his brain and learn something from him