If you have 5 speed + remote start...

JonJon

Founding Member
Aug 16, 2002
back in Marylands
Did you install it yourself? Difficulty? Did you need another PATS key?

Model of remote start? Cost? I ONLY want a remote start, I don't need an alarm. Plus the cost savings is worth it (I honestly do NOT need an alarm).

Would you do it again? How were the safety features install? Like how does it know if the parking brake is engaged, or if you're not in gear?

I think I really want a remote starter now but the past threads I've read here made it seem like a major PITA...

• Sponsors (?)

You would probably have to disable the clutch switch, which engages when you push the clutch all the way in. Personally, I wouldn't do it in the event someone borrows your car or you forget and leave it in gear.

TL1000S said:
You would probably have to disable the clutch switch, which engages when you push the clutch all the way in. Personally, I wouldn't do it in the event someone borrows your car or you forget and leave it in gear.
There are safety measures. Plus, no one borrows my car.

The only way that you can do this is if you install it yourself and disable the clutch switch. You will not be able to find anyone that will do this install b/c of safety reasons.

JonJon said:
Yes, I know this stuff... I'm trying to find the details.

You will not be able to find any installer that'll do the job. Way too much possible liabilities...
most of remote start will have 3rd ignition output that you can use to activate the relay which you can use to "simulate" clutch switch. And you also need to bypass PATS, which can be done with DEI parts called 555U. You'll need to get copy of your key to get code off tho.

As former MECP certified installer, I would strongly suggest you will not install remote start. I know many many people installed remotestart on their manual transmission car, and also heard some seriously bad story(one in perticuler. This guy installed remote start on his Dodge Comming Disel powered Ram, and he, well actualy was his wife left it on gear. And to make story short, his truck took out the garage. Starter on diesle truck is pretty strong enough to drive car about 15 feet befor remote start disengaed it. Unfortunatly, or fortunatly his garage now has 2 entryway... :rlaugh: )

At epping in NH, you have to have a clutch switch in order to race. They make you put in it first and try to start it up without the clutch. I guess some girl got hurt from a car jumping forward and pinning her in between 2 cars. If you race check your local track.

mity2 said:
You will not be able to find any installer that'll do the job. Way too much possible liabilities...
most of remote start will have 3rd ignition output that you can use to activate the relay which you can use to "simulate" clutch switch. And you also need to bypass PATS, which can be done with DEI parts called 555U. You'll need to get copy of your key to get code off tho.

As former MECP certified installer, I would strongly suggest you will not install remote start. I know many many people installed remotestart on their manual transmission car, and also heard some seriously bad story(one in perticuler. This guy installed remote start on his Dodge Comming Disel powered Ram, and he, well actualy was his wife left it on gear. And to make story short, his truck took out the garage. Starter on diesle truck is pretty strong enough to drive car about 15 feet befor remote start disengaed it. Unfortunatly, or fortunatly his garage now has 2 entryway... :rlaugh: )
I'm not worried about the safety issue... I'm the only one who drives my car. Plus, with a parking brake check before starting I'm pretty sure I'll be fine.

THanks for the info on the 555U, that's what I was looking for. I'm not positive if I am I going to get a remote start yet but I'm looking into the costs and the ease of installation right now.

Screaminyellow7 said:
At epping in NH, you have to have a clutch switch in order to race. They make you put in it first and try to start it up without the clutch. I guess some girl got hurt from a car jumping forward and pinning her in between 2 cars. If you race check your local track.
Yeah, I remember they started making us try to start the car without using the clutch. I don't think I'll be going to Epping much anymore regardless, I'm in a different part of the country. Plus, I think I read the clutch switch is an easy thing to enable/disable?

it is worth it. i had it on my 02 celica 5 speed. just be smart about it, and yes its the 555U module you need for the install.

there's also a lot of diode isolating on the 99+ mustangs. so if you dont know a thing about that i suggest you find a friend that can install.

Roger_4.6_96 said:
Its not worth it and illegal for 5 speed :nice:
I've always heard that but is it ACTUALLY illegal? :shrug: No big deal though.
zcs626 said:
it is worth it. i had it on my 02 celica 5 speed. just be smart about it, and yes its the 555U module you need for the install.

there's also a lot of diode isolating on the 99+ mustangs. so if you dont know a thing about that i suggest you find a friend that can install.
Diode isolating? That's what I'm trying to figure out, how hard it is to install and if I want to bother. I only know 1 person who installed on a manual car, but I'm not too fond of them. I'd rather not call them. plus, it wasn't on a Stang.

Looking at http://www.bulldogsecurity.com and their manuals it doesn't look that bad.
SilverBullet00 said:
I have been looking at an alarm at Ultimate Electronics with remote start and the guy said they install them on 5 speeds but you need to purchase the clutch switch... But id rather spend 500 on longtube headers....
They quoted you $500?? Yeesh... I'm looking at $100 kits before adding the PATS module. If the costs rises much I won't do it but if it's < $200 I probably will. And if I can do the install myself...

i cant remember which wires have to be diode isolated (either door triggers or door locks) and has to be done away from the alarm, and at the BCM (body control module) of the computer. if you have absolutely no experience w/ alarm installation nor diodes, i highly recommend finding a side job installer that knows what he's talking about, or dont do it

zcs626 said:
i cant remember which wires have to be diode isolated (either door triggers or door locks) and has to be done away from the alarm, and at the BCM (body control module) of the computer. if you have absolutely no experience w/ alarm installation nor diodes, i highly recommend finding a side job installer that knows what he's talking about, or dont do it
:( I was really hoping that wouldn't be the case... but thanks for the advice.

I've never heard of remote start being illegal to install on a manual car. The people installing my alarm are installing the remote start while they're there though I may never use it. If you can wait till after this weekend I'll talk to the guys doing mine and ask them any questions you've got.

Roger_4.6_96 said:
Its not worth it and illegal for 5 speed :nice:
Really? I don't think so.

And it's plenty worth it. I have the Clifford system on my car, and the shop had no issues installing it. It requires a 3rd PATS key, and there is no bypass of the clutch safety switch.

Clifford has a shutdown procedure before you exit the vehicle to ensure you won't leave it in gear.

I love mine. Oh, and a shop that knows their product, and trusts their installers will install the Clifford system. It is designed.....DESIGNED for use on 5-6 sp manual cars. End of story.

Spreadman said:
Really? I don't think so.

And it's plenty worth it. I have the Clifford system on my car, and the shop had no issues installing it. It requires a 3rd PATS key, and there is no bypass of the clutch safety switch.

Clifford has a shutdown procedure before you exit the vehicle to ensure you won't leave it in gear.

I love mine. Oh, and a shop that knows their product, and trusts their installers will install the Clifford system. It is designed.....DESIGNED for use on 5-6 sp manual cars. End of story.
I know you made a thread about your Clifford system before but I can't find it anymore :( Searching for threads created by Spreadman only brought up like 10 threads, none of them the system...

So could you tell us again what system you have and how much it cost + install? (If you don't mind... lol I know you've posted it before)