Ignition Issues, Code 18

blackarma

Jul 13, 2010
hey guys, since I have been doing a lot of searches on my issues and a lot of answers are coming from this site. I have an 86' LX 5.0L. About a year ago I ran into an issue where my car was intermittently cutting out like a misfire and the auto meter tach was bouncing everywhere. Just with minor testing since I was on a road trip it looked like my ECU was not controlling the timing. Now fast forward to now, after and engine replacement and several parts changed, my issue has came back. The car starts sputtering like a miss or bad ground, tach is bouncing everywhere and sometimes will cut out completely, but will restart and have an occasional backfire out the exhaust. The last this happened, I did a KOEO, and code 18 popped up dealing with the spout. I originally thought maybe it was a bad ground problems so I cleaned up all my ground, including another ground I made with 0 ga wire and the ground for the monster tach, still have the spout not controlling the timing.

Researched this first and have tried some stuff that was mentioned here, even though I have changed parts out earlier. I have checked the continuity of the SPOUT wire ( yellow/lt green wire from the TFI connector to the computer pin 36, I got 0.3 ohms, which is less than 2.0 ohms. I measured it again with the spout connector out and it showed open like it should. I tested the negative coil wire, green/ yellow stripe, from the TFI connector to the computer ( pin 4) and also from the coil to the computer. I'm getting 22.4 ohms like I'm supposed to. At this point I'm lost and have no idea where to look. The parts that have been replace was the ECU, which had two leaking capacitors that had one leed on a cap disconnected, replaced a distributor, cause the plastic part that the reluctor pass through broke, I replaced my coil which was a MSD TFI coil, cause it was 20yr old and changed it to rule it out.

Any other suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

Have you looked at the ignition switch under the dash? They get worn and heated causing the plug to discolor, they are held on the column by two 'security' torx head bolts, they have a stud in the middle and the torx bit has a corresponding hole, get them at any parts store

Reactions: 1 user
That is one I haven't looked at yet. I know it has been since I last replaced it in 2001 and replaced the shell on it since it melted as well around the same time.

Have you looked at the ignition switch under the dash? They get worn and heated causing the plug to discolor, they are held on the column by two 'security' torx head bolts, they have a stud in the middle and the torx bit has a corresponding hole, get them at any parts store

Good point, here's a way to rule out the ignition switch. Do the radio, wipers or heater/AC blower misbehave when the engine seems to misfire? If not, then you can eliminate the ignition switch as the problem.

If none of the above mention accessories malfunction when the engine misfires, you probably have either a bad PIP sensor in the distributor or a bad TFI. Both get worse as the engine temp increases, The TFI is more likely to be OK at low RPMs and starts to miss at higher RPMs. The PIP sensor usually causes problems at all RPM ranges once it gets hot.

How the TFI ignition works in 86-93 model Mustangs:

Revised 2 June 2017 to add canned air cooling test

Tools needed: DVM, noid light, safety pin.

Theory of operation:
The TFI ignition in 86-93 Mustangs has 4 main components: the ignition switch, the coil, the TFI module and the PIP sensor inside the distributor.

The ignition switch gets power from the two yellow wires that are supplied power by a fuse link located in the wiring harness that connects to the starter solenoid.

Diagram courtesy of Tmoss & Stang&2birds
IgnitionSwitchWiring.gif

I.) The coil is mounted on the driver’s side strut tower on most EFI Mustangs. It gets power from a red/green wire and a brown/pink wire from the ignition switch. That wire from the ignition switch feeds a 20 gauge blue fuse link that connects to the red/green wire. The fuse link protects the wiring and the ignition switch, since the fuse link for the two yellow power supply wires has a much higher current rating. Without the smaller fuse link protecting the smaller wiring used in the ignition circuit, a short there would cause the red/green wire to overheat and burn up.

II.) The TFI module is mounted on the side of the distributor and supplies the ground for the coil. Every automotive power supply circuit uses the ground as the return path to carry power back to the negative side of the battery. The TFI switches the tan/yellow wire coming from the coil to ground. It gets power from the red/green wire when the ignition switch is in the Run position. The red/lt blue wire supplies a signal to turn on more power (dwell time) when the engine is cranking. The increased dwell can cause excessive current draw if the red/blue wire remains energized when the ignition switch is in the Run position. The trigger signal comes from the PIP sensor when cranking and the computer when the engine is running. The SPOUT jumper plug enables computer controlled spark advance. When the SPOUT is removed, spark advance is locked at the setting determined by the mechanical position of the distributor.

III.) The PIP sensor is in the bottom of the distributor under the shutter wheel. It is a Hall effect magnetic sensor that senses a change in the magnetic field when one of the slots in the shutter wheel uncovers the sensor. Then it supplies a pulse that triggers the TFI module to provide a ground to the ignition coil. A bad PIP will often set code 14 in the computer and cause hot start problems. Replacing the PIP sensor requires removal of the distributor and pressing the gear off the distributor shaft to expose the sensor. For most people, a remanufactured distributor ($55-$75) is the solution, since they may not have access to a press.

IV.) Troubleshooting the ignition system – no spark or weak spark. All the tests are done with the ignition switch in the Run position unless specified otherwise. A safety pin may be used to probe the wiring connectors from the back side.
1.) Check for 12 volts at the yellow wires on the ignition switch. No 12 volts and the fuse link near the starter solenoid has open circuited.
2.) Check for 12 volts on the red/green and brown/pink wires coming out of the ignition switch. No 12 volts, replace the ignition switch.
3.) Check for 12 volts at the ignition coil. No 12 volts and the blue 20 gauge fuse link has open circuited.
4.) Check for 12 volts at the red/green wire on the TFI module. No 12 volts and you have wiring problems.
5.) Remove the small red/blue wire from the starter solenoid (looks like it is stuck on a screw). This is a safety measure to keep the engine from turning while you are making measurements. Have a helper turn the ignition switch to Start and look for 12 volts on the red/lt blue wire on the TFI module. No 12 volts and you will have starting problems, but push starting the car will work OK. No 12 volts, replace the ignition switch. Be sure to reconnect the red/blue wire to the starter when you finish.
6.) Check the red/blue wire to make sure that it has less than 8 volts when the ignition switch is in the Run position.
7.) A noid light available from any auto parts store, is one way to test the PIP pulse. The computer uses the PIP signal to trigger the fuel injectors. The noid light plugs into the fuel injector harness in place of any easily accessible injector. Plug it in and it will flash if the PIP is working. No flash from the noid light and the PIP is suspect. To confirm the PIP is being the source of the non flashing noid light, look for 12 volts on the red injector wiring. Good 12 volts and no flashing noid light means the PIP has failed.
8.) Remove the SPOUT plug from the harness and try to start the engine. If it starts, replace the PIP. This is a common no start condition when the engine is hot.
9.) The TFI module is a go/no go item when you have a no spark/weak spark condition on a cold engine. It either works or it doesn’t.
The TFI failure mode on a running car is usually a high speed miss on a warm engine. Many auto parts stores will test your TFI module for free. Bring along a hair dryer to get it hot while testing it and run several test cycles, since it often gets weak when it heats up.
Spraying the TFI module with “canned air” used to dust computer keyboards while the engine is hot and misfiring is one way to check the TFI. Turn the can upside down and spray away; this will cool the TFI of quickly. If it stops missing, the TFI is the likely suspect.

The coil is somewhat more difficult to pinpoint as a problem. A good coil will make a nice fat blue spark 3/8”-1/2” long. The problem is that one person’s perception of a fat blue spark looks like may not be accurate enough to spot a weak coil. The coil is cheap enough ($13-$16) that having a known good working spare might be a good idea.

diagram courtesy of Tmoss & Stang&2Birds
fuel-alt-links-ign-ac.gif

TFI_5.0_comparison.gif

TFIModuletroubleshooting.jpg

See the following website for some help from Tmoss (diagram designer) & Stang&2Birds (website host) for help on 88-95 wiring http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/ Everyone should bookmark this site.

Ignition switch wiring
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/IgnitionSwitchWiring.gif

Fuel, alternator, A/C and ignition wiring
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/fuel-alt-links-ign-ac.gif

Complete computer, actuator & sensor wiring diagram for 88-91 Mass Air Mustangs
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/88-91_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif

Vacuum diagram 89-93 Mustangs
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/mustangFoxFordVacuumDiagram.jpg

HVAC vacuum diagram
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/Mustang_AC_heat_vacuum_controls.gif

TFI module differences & pinout
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/TFI_5.0_comparison.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, I'll have to try this tomorrow. I started with the ignition switch. No wires look fried or burnt, however the plastic on the switch is starting to separate from the aluminum mount. So i have a replacement spare, a motorcraft one, which I got that on. The rest I'll check with a DVOM and noid light.

I can tell you I have not pulled a code 14, only pulled a code 15, which is common with moates chip, code 18, which the car runs but the spout does nothing when it is in or out and code 96.

Ok a little more update, finished with checking the continuity of the TFI plug to
The harness it is good pin 4, 16, and 56. Are all around 0.3 ohms. Checked the voltage to the start on the TFI and that came back as battery voltage ~12v.

I was about to check the module itself, but once I got it off, the metal back fell off. Just put a known good module on. Will check the distributor itself and the ignition switch voltage tomorrow

Ok a little more update, finished with checking the continuity of the TFI plug to
The harness it is good pin 4, 16, and 56. Are all around 0.3 ohms. Checked the voltage to the start on the TFI and that came back as battery voltage ~12v.

I was about to check the module itself, but once I got it off, the metal back fell off. Just put a known good module on. Will check the distributor itself and the ignition switch voltage tomorrow
You may have found and fixed the problem. Parts falling apart is not good at all...

Ok got some time to troubleshoot some more. Think I might have fixed the cutting out problem. There was a relay that was attached to the white wire/pink stripe, from an old alarm system, I took that out of the equation. So far I have ran her around with no skip. I went back to do a code scan. KOEO. Popped up with 15, 96 and 18. However the KOER. Gets 11. At this point I just had to call it quits, working nights now. I need to check the voltages when it gets hot. I wander if it is something that is opening up?

Ok, did some more checking this morning. All my volt reading from back probing on the TFI, they all came back good however the SPOUT wire shows 6.7v no matter if I have the spout connector in of out. You can hear a slight change in rpm putting it in an out but nothing to write home about. PIP is getting the same voltage 6.7 when running, Start only sees 12v at cranking, coil negative gets 13.5v and ground sees 0v. I can pull the connection to the Spout, MAF and IAC, and the car doesn't stumble, however the code scanner will pick that up except for the IAC.

I dunno at this point if the computer is bad or something else is going on.

Update, now down to code 96 and 11. Found part of the FP monitor wire smashed flat. Fixed that and will check the wire out when I get home. Updated the checksum on the moates chip and got rid of the code 15. Still trying to find out why the computer isn't controlling the timing?

When you set the timing, check to see if the timing changes when you remove the SPOUT again when you put it back in. No change is either a TFI problem or a computer problem.

Your tune with the moates chip may have over written the timing tables. Try the test above without the moates chip and tune if you can and see if it makes a difference