ignition module, automatic vs manual

WhiteFizzo

Founding Member
May 17, 2000
Virginia Beach Va
Well, i finished the AOD to t5 conversion:nice: Now, a new problem. Car runs like crap. I dumped the codes and got a 14 Ignition pickup (PIP) was erratic. So instead of just getting the pickup needed and having to deal with pressing off the gear, I am going to get a remanufactured unit from the parts store. While I am at it, I guess I should also get the ignition module. There is a module listed for an automatic transmission and one listed for a manual transmission. Which one should I get?

• Sponsors (?)

As far as I know the ignition modules are exactly the same but if they are insistant that there are 2 different part numbers I would go with the one that matches your ECM. I assume you still have the automatic ECM in the car, therefore I would purchase the module for the automatic.

There is a bit of incorrect information out there about the TFI's. There is the push-start TFI and the CCD TFI. The CCD TFI came out in later in the aero fox run. Neither has anything to do with the transmission. However, each will bolt up to the other's dizzy and the car can run with the wrong module. Always keep the same style TFI as came with the original dizzy/car.

Good luck.