Ignition switch wiring question

drbobj67

Sep 22, 2006
Several years ago some MF looser stole my stang:mad: When I got it back they had trashed the ignition switch. So I put in a universal one. Now I want to put back in a stock one. I have a new switch but I can't find anyplace that sells the plug or whatever you call it that plugs into the back of the ignition switch, unless I buy the whole wiring harness. I think if I know what goes where I could use tabs or something to hook up the wires.

Does anyone have a diagram that shows what each of the tabs on the back go to. They don't appear to be labeled and the wiring diagrams that I have dont explicitly show which wires go where Or I can't figure out the schematics.

This is the way I have the universal switch hooked up. It has a center bolt and three other teminals labled Battery, IGN, ST and ACC

Battery Terminal – Thick solid yellow wire This might be the #21 wire in the schematic

Ignition Terminal – Green wire with red stripe I think this is the 16 wire in the schematic and thick pink resistor wire( I believe these go to the coil) and two more wires that I added for the coil and pertronixs

St (starter?) center bolt of switch - red wire with blue stripe - May be wire 32 in the schematic

Acc – thick solid black wire

I'll try to put in a photo the back of my new IGN switch and some schematics but with the size limits I don't know how well they will work. On the switch there are 4 tabs and the center bolt. Three of them are inside of a black plastic kind of triangle shape and the fourth tab is on the edge of the IGN switch.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Attachments

• 928 Ign switch cropped.jpg
    928 Ign switch cropped.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 2,086
  • Ign Schematic 1.jpg
    Ign Schematic 1.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 17,233
  • Sponsors (?)

I MIGHT HAVE ONE OF THESE IN THE BASEMENT. I had lots of stang in my years and have some harnesses, some cars I put a universal harness in and new style fuses just for a better wiring system.
I will look for it tonight if you still need one.
My current stang.

Tom,

If you have one I could use it. I know that the 64.5 - 66 are different. It would need to be a 67, I think the 68 is different also.

Let me know if you come up with anything.

Thanks

I have a 66 and mine is wired this way.
#297 Black/Grn stripe goes to center bolt
#16 Red/Grn stripe goes to the C terminal
#32 Red/Blue stripe goes to the S terminal
#21 Yellow goes to the B terminal

Hope this helps, Mike in Indiana

tripleduece25 said:
I have a 66 and mine is wired this way.
#297 Black/Grn stripe goes to center bolt
#16 Red/Grn stripe goes to the C terminal
#32 Red/Blue stripe goes to the S terminal
#21 Yellow goes to the B terminal

Hope this helps, Mike in Indiana

Thanks for the response but I'm pretty sure 66 switches are different, http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/173_0310_mustang_ign_switches/index2.html

from your description it sounds like the tabs on your switch are labled, on my 67 they are not.

My understanding of the 67 ignition switch is that the plug is the same as the 65-66. Even though 67 and 68 are the same body style, in 68 they added the plug in style plug with the center post eliminated. I believe the only physical difference between the 65-66 and 67 switch itself is the escutcheon screws onto the 67 switch for easier removal.

I found the 65-67 plug pigtail at Mustang Parts House. Part # UDS-120. Here's the link: http://www.mustangpartshouse.com/pr...SSID=19fc5416c2a4bcd7858182d43420c010#UDS-120

Hope this helps.

KStang65B said:
My understanding of the 67 ignition switch is that the plug is the same as the 65-66. Even though 67 and 68 are the same body style, in 68 they added the plug in style plug with the center post eliminated. I believe the only physical difference between the 65-66 and 67 switch itself is the escutcheon screws onto the 67 switch for easier removal.

I found the 65-67 plug pigtail at Mustang Parts House. Part # UDS-120. Here's the link: http://www.mustangpartshouse.com/pr...SSID=19fc5416c2a4bcd7858182d43420c010#UDS-120

Hope this helps.

KStang65B I think you are right about the 65-66 plug vs the 67. In this article
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/173_0310_mustang_ign_switches/index.html
it does say that the plug is the same type but I wasn't sure if they ment similar or exactly the same. Seems like I remember checking a used harness that was 65 or 66 and it looked different, but it looks like they are the same.

Thanks for the link to Musang Parts house. That should do the trick. I just hope that it has instructions on which wire connects to which since the colors of the wires don't match my harness. Also on my new IGN switch there is 4th tab outside of the enclosure where the plug fits in. see red arrow in images. Does anyone know what attaches there?

When I was calling junkyards I was getting a quote of $60-70 plus shipping. So the price from MPH for new part is a good deal.

It's great to have all the input from :SNSign:

Attachments

• 928 Ign switch cropped 4th tab.jpg
    928 Ign switch cropped 4th tab.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 2,458
  • Ign Schematic 1 4th tab.jpg
    Ign Schematic 1 4th tab.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 6,702
My 65 has that 4th terminal as well. I have the car apart for restoration but I couldn't find a label for it on the harness.

I've checked my wiring diagrams but I can't find anything that shows what that terminal is for. All I can find are the 3 wires and the center post for 65 and 67.

Hopefully someone with a 67 can check and see it they have anything on that terminal.