I'm crossing over..

RollinSidewayz

Mar 3, 2004
..to the dark side. I am selling my 95 Trans Am because I found a steal of a deal on an 89 M5 5.0 LX. I've wanted a foxbody for a while and I want something stick. And we all know nothing beats the sound of a 302 with cam and exhaust. Here are the details:

140,000 on body, 38,000 since forged rebuild and tranny rebuild. The car has a moderate CC cam (not sure what model yet), BBK shorties, gutted cats, flowmasters, underdrive pullies, MSD blaster coil, Hurst short throw, RAM clutch, Eibach lowering springs, pony wheels, cobra r hood, saleen wing.. I drove the car and I loved it, felt much more solid than my present car. It has been owned by a brother of a close friend who is a major enthusiast, he babies his cars. Right now its primer black, but he is painting it for me. After paint, the car is mine for $3,500.

My concern is this.. they are bringing emissions back to PA. I know I will have no choice but to get cats on there, but even with cats, will I pass with the cam? I don't know much about 302's yet so I'm not really sure how they are emission wise. I'm gonna call him and get the specs on the cam, but I was wondering if anyone had input so far. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

if its got gutted cats you should be fine....because the inspector will just look and see that its got cats...more than likely if hes running a cam with the stock heads and intake it isnt big enough to be illegal...IMO you should be straight, passing the sniffer test is a different story. i hope mine passes this month

Yeah, I'm assuming they hook it up and determine the exhaust contents, in which case I can't see passing with gutted cats, but I'll get new cats. I was just wondering about it passing with the cam AND cats.

if the car has a fairly fresh tune up and runs good it will pass without cats...i know plenty of people that pass the sniffer test without cats on their car and a cam and blower. you should pass with the cam in the car....i dont think you can get a big enough cam in a stock motor for it not to pass due to piston-vavle problems. you should be ok passing emissions if the car runs good

RollinSidewayz said:
That's interesting.. it certainly isn't the same story with LT1's.

i just passed the sniffer yesterday.... I was scared***less that it wouldnt pass. All i did was put new cats on, and it passed with flying colors. It depends on the tech you go too, and if he/she is gonna be an ass and fail you on the visual.... My car only has an e303, but with the 1.6rr it has a pretty nice lope to it and the guy didnt even ask about it. Good luck and welcome to the mustang world!!!!!

any mildly modded 5.0 with some heads, intake, cam, shouldnt really have to worry about passing emissions. even if the cam isnt sold as smog legal. you can get them to pass. as for your gutted cats, you could always find someone with a stock hpipe for sale or borrow one and slap it on for the test.

oh and welcome to the greatest side for the musclecar enthusiast. :D

sky's the limit with your soon to be car.

My friend passed emmisions (in NJ) and all he did was reprogram the comp, (his mechanic said he had a race program in his computer?) and give it a major tune up and he passed all the emmisions crap with no cats at all. 5.0s run clean, what can I say?

RollinSidewayz said:
My concern is this.. they are bringing emissions back to PA.

What the hell are you smoking? Emissions testing never went anywhere in PA ya crackhead. All of my cars are registered in PA. Now if you want to get around them just register the car as a show car....the only requirement is that you have to stay under a certain milage each year. It all depends on the age of the car.

GMstomper said:
What the hell are you smoking? Emissions testing never went anywhere in PA ya crackhead. All of my cars are registered in PA. Now if you want to get around them just register the car as a show car....the only requirement is that you have to stay under a certain milage each year. It all depends on the age of the car.
Um....what are YOU SMOKING? Emissions IS here in Pa. to stay,and will get tougher each year. I assure you that. You cannot simply register your car as a show car, you must re-title it. If you re-title it, it will always be a street rod, or specially constructed vehicle. IMO my car would be valueless with a title other than a clean one. You are correct that there is a mileage stipulation that can get you off of the hook. IF you can prove you drove less than 5k last year.
And for the guy that passed the sniffer without any cats, :bs: the guy running it was sleepin, IMPOSSIBLE! You may pass the visual with gutted cats, but not a sniffer.

Also it depends where you are in Pa...I live in Berks County and we just started emissions this year and for anything older than a 96 all it is is a visual test. I don't believe there is even a visual if the car is driven less than 5k miles a year though, but you have to have owned it for a year!
Right across town in Montgomery County they have full-fledged emissions testing though!

Jakob

You guys gotta be kiddin me! Every body has a friend of a friend of a friend,that can pass the inspection for you!! I lived in 3 states and always found someone who is a little less then honest! Get my drift :nice:

willys1 said:
You guys gotta be kiddin me! Every body has a friend of a friend of a friend,that can pass the inspection for you!! I lived in 3 states and always found someone who is a little less then honest! Get my drift :nice:

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna get to work on that. Even if I don't need it now, it will be valuable in the future.

RollinSidewayz said:
..to the dark side. I am selling my 95 Trans Am because I found a steal of a deal on an 89 M5 5.0 LX. I've wanted a foxbody for a while and I want something stick. And we all know nothing beats the sound of a 302 with cam and exhaust. Here are the details:

140,000 on body, 38,000 since forged rebuild and tranny rebuild. The car has a moderate CC cam (not sure what model yet), BBK shorties, gutted cats, flowmasters, underdrive pullies, MSD blaster coil, Hurst short throw, RAM clutch, Eibach lowering springs, pony wheels, cobra r hood, saleen wing..

Also, what do you think this car would clock in the 1/4 mile with good tires?