I'm really pissed off about these UPR clutch cables

GToddyT5

Founding Member
Jan 14, 2002
Hamilton, NJ
I've just had my second UPR clutch cable break in a year. I'm using their triple hook quadrant and firewall adjuster as well. Is this just poor quality? I knew I should have just stuck with a Ford cable. Can I use a Ford cable with my quadrant and firewall adjuster or will I have to replace everything?

• Sponsors (?)

What I have found is that if the quadrant is not centered with the cable, the cable will ride along the sharp edges of the quadrant hooks and eventually wear through each individual cable wire until it snaps.
As far as adjustable cables, I have used one for years with a heavy duty clutch and haven't had any problems. Take your quadrant off and inspect the sides of the groove. I'll bet you'll see a lot of wear.

Turbo92PGT said:
I have my old stock one I'll sell u if you wanna. I've got the steeda cable and couldn't be happier. PM me
I had the same problem. I had to adjust my quadrant because the cable was rubbing against the hooks. So I got the Steeda Quadrant spacer kit.Steeda Quadrant Spacer kit and a new Ford OEM cable. You could probably make one alot cheaper and save on shipping instead of buying one from Steeda. But I just don't have a lot of patient and it was only $5.

95BLBLVert said:
Yeah, spend $100 on a new one and have it snap too. Don't fix a problem by replacing parts...diagnose first then replace.
Everything I read regarding clutch cables/quadrants said that the stock one is the strongest and best. I paid $55 shipped from fordparts.com and has been perfect.

95BLBLVert said:
Yeah, spend $100 on a new one and have it snap too. Don't fix a problem by replacing parts...diagnose first then replace.

ok smart ass...... :rolleyes:

the aftermarket cables are CRAP......the ford cables are the way to go....they are much stronger than any other made.....

BTW they arent $100 they are $76 from the dealer

I come to this forum to answer questions when I can and learn from others. I don't need to be talked to like you think you're a cable manufacturer. I was not being a smart ass as you say. I have quite a bit of experience in this industry and I don't talk out of my ass. How many cable manufacturers do you know? Have you done a stress test on all the different cables out there?
All I was saying was you don't go replacing parts, like so many mechanics do today, to see if that solves the problem. Any good mechanic knows that you diagnose first then replace. GToddyT5 asked for help before spending money. Everyone gave there .02 including me. It is his choice to do what he wants. It IS true that there have been junk cables out there but those typically are not purchased anymore by aftermarket companies because of the problems. UPR does not purchase junk cables. I happen to know where they come from and I know there is at least a dozen other companies selling them every day. Don't just echo what other people say. Know what you're talking about first.

95BLBLVert said:
I come to this forum to answer questions when I can and learn from others. I don't need to be talked to like you think you're a cable manufacturer. I was not being a smart ass as you say. I have quite a bit of experience in this industry and I don't talk out of my ass. How many cable manufacturers do you know? Have you done a stress test on all the different cables out there?
All I was saying was you don't go replacing parts, like so many mechanics do today, to see if that solves the problem. Any good mechanic knows that you diagnose first then replace. GToddyT5 asked for help before spending money. Everyone gave there .02 including me. It is his choice to do what he wants. It IS true that there have been junk cables out there but those typically are not purchased anymore by aftermarket companies because of the problems. UPR does not purchase junk cables. I happen to know where they come from and I know there is at least a dozen other companies selling them every day. Don't just echo what other people say. Know what you're talking about first.

i agree that when you have a problem you should find out what caused it before you started replacing parts. BUT there are some things that can be replaced without really questioning why.....one of those is a clutch cable. it has been discussed time and time again about how MOST aftermarket cables are not nearly as good as the OEM ones. i for one have experienced 3 cable manufactures....my last cable in my 4.6 was a steeda adjustable cable....snapped, my UPR cable in my foxbody stretched beyond belief and than had a few frays on it.....have had a few buddies that had the BBK cable and they stretched out ......on the other hand, the OEM cable i just put in my 4.6 is smother in engagement and was cheaper than the so called "performance" cables....not to mention i have friends and im sure alot of you do too that still have the stock cable in thier cars with over 60k on the clock.....this isnt rocket science here. the OEM cable is better.....and if yur cable is snapped you have to replace it.....

I understand what you are saying. I've had cables snap in the past too. I do know that companies will find other manufacturers of cables if they have problems with them...they don't usually keep selling crap, especially if they have a name like Steeda or UPR.
On the other side of the coin, all cables stretch. That is why Ford developed the plastic adjustable quadrant. The cable stretches then you tighten with the pedal. Now when a cable stretches you simply readjust with the firewall adjuster. At some point the cable can't stretch anymore and snaps. Ford cables do last a long time.
My point was that I have found that some quadrants will cause the cable to fray (regardless of the manufacturer) if the quad is not mounted properly. Contrary to what is being told to people, the quadrant will NOT self-align on the shafts. Spacers need to be used to keep the quad lined up with the incoming cable.
That is why I supply washers with my quadrants. Why do you think Steeda and Maximum Mtspts came out with washers for their quadrants? Bottom line is cables do stretch, Ford cable is an excellent cable but their are some good aftermarket ones and quadrants need to be centered on the shafts.

All aftermarket cables I have ever seen including steeda, UPR, BBK, have been complained about one too many times for me to spend more money on than just buying a stock one. I have always been told that they are the strongest and with a stiff ass pressure plate for 65,000 mine has yet to look a bit stretched.
"i agree that when you have a problem you should find out what caused it before you started replacing parts. BUT there are some things that can be replaced without really questioning why.....one of those is a clutch cable. it has been discussed time and time again about how MOST aftermarket cables are not nearly as good as the OEM ones. i for one have experienced 3 cable manufactures....my last cable in my 4.6 was a steeda adjustable cable....snapped, my UPR cable in my foxbody stretched beyond belief and than had a few frays on it.....have had a few buddies that had the BBK cable and they stretched out ......on the other hand, the OEM cable i just put in my 4.6 is smother in engagement and was cheaper than the so called "performance" cables....not to mention i have friends and im sure alot of you do too that still have the stock cable in thier cars with over 60k on the clock.....this isnt rocket science here. the OEM cable is better.....and if yur cable is snapped you have to replace it.....