Impact wrench options

BlackVert

15 Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Bethesda, MD
Basically, I'm between a corded Craftsman 8 amp that has 300 ft/lbs torque and a 19v cordless one that has 200 ft/lbs.

For a typical home mechanic like me who does things like brake jobs, is the 200 ft/lbs one adequate, or will I find over time that the 300 is more what I need?

Which would be "correct" for lug nuts?

And should the 200 handle the bolts that hold the brake caliper housing to the bracket?

So ..... 200 or 300?

• Sponsors (?)

The 200 should be adequate for almost anything. The brake caliper bolts aren't that tight. The lug nuts are torqued to like 85 ft.lbs, and need to be re installed with a torque wrench. The only bolts that end up being tighter than that are the front wheel bearing nuts, and for some reason the main harmonic balancer bolt ends up being super tight.

Kurt

Impact wrenches aren't about breaking the final torque loose. They're about breaking old and rusted hardware loose. I would get the one that had the highest reverse torque you can get your hands on. My air impact is 600 ft/lbs reverse and I've come across the odd bolt that it could not break loose.

Yep all that heavy reverse torque comes in handy when you got a cross threaded lug nut. My impact wrench was able to tear the freakin threads right off the lug to free the nut then i just popped in a new one.

I'm weird when it comes to cordless stuff. I really haven't been impressed by anything cordless yet. And when I first heard the term "cordless impact wrench" i cringed! I know there's some great products but every time my battery goes to hell (which never takes that long) and i want to buy a new one, its a) too expensive and b) theres already whole new line of products with new batteries. I like having good old reliable corded drills, power tools and air tools that I know that are going to not die on me when I need them. Then you just need to buy a decent generator to go portable =P

I've never once said, "dang, this impact gun just has too much torque!"

Also, have to agree with redsn95gt- There are times when my cordless gear is handy, but when I want to cut plate steel, or when I'm drilling metal (and don't feel like firing up the compressor) my old corded Black and Deckers just have way more power than the cordless gear does.

I think you'll be a lot happier with your corded one. That is, until you realize you need an 80 gallon compressor and a Thunder Gun!

Happy New Year!

see ... this is why i should not be allowed in a garage.

so i get to sears to get the electric one, and wouldn't you know, they have a 26 gal compressor kit on sale that comes with 25' of hose, and both a 1/2" impact wrench (350) and a 3/8" ratchet driver. i jumped on it and got it home.

i tape up the hose and attach the quick release fittings, put it all together, attach the impact wrench and turn it on.

after what seemed like forever (in reality it was more like 10 minutes), the pressure is built up and i try it on my lug nuts. the thing goes for 5 seconds and then nothing. so i let it build up more pressure and set ithe regulator higher. still nothing. after screwing around with it for 30 minutes, i notice another piece of paper in the bottom of the box that says the tools need to be oiled daily (or before the first use of the day)

of course, oil didn't come with the kit. i had assumed the kit had everything necessary, and the salesman didn't say anything, so here i am with everything but the oil. for all i know, i may have ruined the wrench because i tried to use it without oiling it first.

Another +1 for the high torque impact gun today!! Nut stripped while on a bolt on my lower control arm. Thought I was screwed! No says mr impact wrench! A little banging with a punch, a little hammering on the trigger on full power and that sucker melted/stripped the remaining threads out and problem solved. This is the kinda stuff that pays for the freakin thing every single time!

according to some folks on another forum i frequent, the behavior i am seeing is most likely an air supply issue, not a lack of oil.

that led me to do a search and there were more than a few reviews from people who complained of the same thing i am seeing, apparently, this is a re-branded compressor of suspicious quality. so now i'm thinking i should return it and forget about a compressor for a while and just have the electric one.

you know what they say ... you get what you pay for.

I bought the Sears 30 Gallon kit a few years ago for $299. Got the 30 Gallon Compressor, Air 3/8" Drive Impact Gun, 3/8" Drive Ratchet and 25' hose. The Impact gun sucked, It couldn't get lug nuts off at all. I went to Harbor Freight and bought their "Earthquake" 1/2" Drive Impact Gun with 600 ft. lb. max for $79. I've had it for 7 years and it still the most used air tool I own. It gets every rusty bolt off with no problem.

Not all Harbor Freight tools are crap. They have the good stuff too. Sure you can buy the crap but if it you get an impact gun for under $35 it aint taking anything off. I was a Chevy mechanic for a few years and had $7K worth of Snap-On and MAC tools. I know which stuff will work.

Here is the Earthquake they sell. The new one is rated to 700 ft. lbs. Don't get the 3/8", go with the biggest and use an adaptor if you need to step down to 3/8" sockets.
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/impact-wrenches/12-professional-air-impact-wrench-68424.html

+1 on the Earthquake impact gun, I have one myself. Haven't found any bolts or nuts that could resist it for long. IMO, the 200-400 ft-lb tools just don't have enough torque, or they can't maintain the torque for long.

hmmmmm ..... here is was all set to return the 26 gal and get the electric and be done with it

now you guys have me re-thinking it again

either way, i'm returning this crappy compressor.

what do you all think about this one? i know it's small, but it claims to deliver 4.9 SCFM. if it REALLY does deliver that, then it should be able to drive a decent impact wrench

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hard...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Portable / pancake style air compressors are for quick jobs. Like nail guns, staple guns, etc. You may get 5 lugs off with that but you'll have to wait until the tanks build up before doing each wheel. I have a pancake style craftsmen compressor, it's not good for working on cars at all. They don't have the torque or tank capacity like a garage compressor. If you need to be portable then you buy that.

Sears had the 30 Gallon Craftsmen Air Compressor on sale for $284, comes with 3/8" Air Ratchet and 3/8" Air Impact Gun (Not made for lug nuts) and hose. This is the deal I did 7 years ago and my compressor is still going. Actually the regulator needs to be changed.

EDIT- Here it is, it's $299. However on the Sears Tool Page they are offering 25% off for orders over $99.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916471000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

news .... right on the craftsman box, it says in big letters ... MADE IN CHINA. 'nuff said

so i was wandering around the home depot on my lunch break (i do that alot) and they had a 33 gal Husky floor model (made in AMERICA - i checked) for sale. since it didn't have the hose or any accessories, i asked if they would cut $50 off the price, and they said yes.

we even plugged it in and built up the pressure and hooked up an impact wrench and it flew, just like it is supposed to. and the compressor is not too loud either

so i got the compressor for $250 and a 3 year extended warranty for $50. out the door for the same price as the craftsman crap. i know i still need a hose and wrench, but at least now i have a decent compressor for a good price.

Sears had the 30 Gallon Craftsmen Air Compressor on sale for $284, comes with 3/8" Air Ratchet and 3/8" Air Impact Gun (Not made for lug nuts) and hose. This is the deal I did 7 years ago and my compressor is still going. Actually the regulator needs to be changed.

EDIT- Here it is, it's $299. However on the Sears Tool Page they are offering 25% off for orders over $99.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916471000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2
that is the exact one that i got, it is 26 gal, not 30. and the impact gun was 1/2". i am returning it tonight.