Improving 60ft times on my 92GT, please help!

With only 260 hp and 3.08 gears, you might be expecting too much. When you say it bogs down to 3000 rpm, I'm wondering what rpm you are trying to launch at? 3000 is not necessarily a "bogged down" rpm for an engine making 260hp. I think you might be over revving on the clutch dump for your particular combo. BTW, in my opinion you shouldn't be "slipping" the clutch out like you mention.
I agree with this 100% no flaming. You might be chasing a ghost here and will likely spend 100’s of $ and not help you at all. If you are trying to improve traction on the street, you are well on your way. But street tires at the track is a bad combo all day any day any temperature.

• Sponsors (?)

I've thought about getting 3.55's for it but my mechanical skill and lack of tool collection have prevented me from doing the job. I'm only home for 1 month out of the year so I currently don't have the means to do it. May look at having a shop do it. I plan to get them done in the future but just looking if there is anything at the moment that can help
New rear end gears would be the " anything at the moment to help" direction you need to go, in my opinion..
Race car or a street car, you really can't have both in one car......

Reactions: 1 user
New rear end gears would be the " anything at the moment to help" direction you need to go, in my opinion..
Race car or a street car, you really can't have both in one car......
I really appreciate it, will give me an opportunity to beef up the rest of the rear end while it's torn apart so I'll be looking to do that as soon as possible, thanks for the advice

Without a sticky tire, you'll be chasing your tail.
Toyo R888R's have a better compound than nitto drag radials and have really good performance through the turns and in the rain. I plan to keep them on until I get my hands on some welds or something to put a drag setup on. People have gone 8's on these tires in late model cars so that's why I was so confused when I put them on and didn't make any improvements but I think the gears and control arms as people have been saying will allow me to see if they are worth it or not.

I agree with this 100% no flaming. You might be chasing a ghost here and will likely spend 100’s of $ and not help you at all. If you are trying to improve traction on the street, you are well on your way. But street tires at the track is a bad combo all day any day any temperatur

I agree with this 100% no flaming. You might be chasing a ghost here and will likely spend 100’s of $ and not help you at all. If you are trying to improve traction on the street, you are well on your way. But street tires at the track is a bad combo all day any day any temperature.
As I've said in another comment, R888R's are a track focused 100tw tire that are comparable to alot of the "street radials" on the market. The m/h racemasters and M/T e/t streets don't fit my wheels so it was either the toyos or the NT555R's and the toyos are a much better tire all around. I appreciate the input though, I'll probably try to look for a set of 4 lug weld draglites to throw on once I beef up the rear end a little.

Well guys I really appreciate the input from everyone and I think I know what I'm gonna do to finally get my little white :poo:box into the 13's. Hopefully this thread will help someone else down the road and I plan to post some updates this June when I go back home from Japan and make some of the changes y'all have reccomended. Thanks for being so helpful!

Hey everyone! And for anyone else that stumbles across this thread. The car is finally in the 13s! As I said earlier in the thread, doing a gear swap was not a real option for me due to lack of time and knowledge. So I followed your guys advise and did team Z/ BMR rear control arms, car is doing consistent 1.9X 60ft now with NO spinning at the track and is slightly better on the street. Also did some minor bolt ons and got a Dyno tune with a different tuner, car made 280whp 315tq on a dynojet, pretty pathetic I know. I'm finally biting the bullet on some 3.73s and having someone do it while I am away. If this gets the car in the 12's I will be blown away, also got my hands on some 4 lug draglites just in case it doesn't .
1000001236.jpg

Hey everyone! And for anyone else that stumbles across this thread. The car is finally in the 13s! As I said earlier in the thread, doing a gear swap was not a real option for me due to lack of time and knowledge. So I followed your guys advise and did team Z/ BMR rear control arms, car is doing consistent 1.9X 60ft now with NO spinning at the track and is slightly better on the street. Also did some minor bolt ons and got a Dyno tune with a different tuner, car made 280whp 315tq on a dynojet, pretty pathetic I know. I'm finally biting the bullet on some 3.73s and having someone do it while I am away. If this gets the car in the 12's I will be blown away, also got my hands on some 4 lug draglites just in case it doesn't .
With 280/315 you're going to need a 1.7x sixty foot to drop into the twelves. Mount up a set of bias ply ET Streets on the Draglites, drop the air to 14# to start, launch at 4500-5000, and pick up your 12 second slip at the time shack.

I messed around for a season on first gen Nitto DR's and it was better than a street tire, but not good enough. I wish I had just stepped up to the bias ply ET Streets sooner.

With 280/315 you're going to need a 1.7x sixty foot to drop into the twelves. Mount up a set of bias ply ET Streets on the Draglites, drop the air to 14# to start, launch at 4500-5000, and pick up your 12 second slip at the time shack.

I messed around for a season on first gen Nitto DR's and it was better than a street tire, but not good enough. I wish I had just stepped up to the bias ply ET Streets sooner.
The draglites already have 8 inch E.T drags on them but my T-5 and 8.8 are stock, my dad was worried about me blowing one of those out launching on a sticky tire but I will look into getting a c clip eliminator kit

If you are going to get axles then another option is to swap out to 9" axle housing ends and be done with it.

The above allow you to use your stock 8.8 brakes.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users