Please Help!! Shifting from 1st to 2nd

Kris Davis

Dec 6, 2013
Howdy boys. Just bought a ‘17 3.7 6-speed and I’m having trouble smoothly shifting from 1st to 2nd. I’ve had manual cars before but this is my first manual mustang. I find that if I take off slowly then I can shift smoothly from 1st to 2nd but when ur at a light who has time to go that slow?

when I take off with a little more speed and get the rpm’s up to about 3500 and shift to second, the car starts to jerk. I try to let the rpm’s drop while I’ve got the clutch in but it takes so long and sometimes the car still jerks anyway. Are they any tunes/mods I can do to help shifting be a little smoother? Any advice from you guys can help!!

• Sponsors (?)

It sounds like a clutch adjustment, a possible shifter or mount problem, or more likely a synchronizer. I’d have the first two checked out ASAP because of the lower cost of fixing vs. the damage they could cause.
How many miles and what kind of abuse do you guess it got from the PO? If they were power shifting into the first three gears a lot, it could be internal.
I’m trying to remember about the 17’s. Wasn’t there a run that had the manual shifter floor mounted, and then when engine torque moved the transmission, shifting stunk? Someone had an article and a tv episode about installing a kit to mount a shifter directly to the trans - like should be done except for noise and vibration soft bushings we do not usually care about in a Mustang.

Last edited: