In need of a toploader bellhousing.!!!

PureMPH

Nov 7, 2004
I purchased a 302 (345HP) crate engine from ford racing parts. I also have a 4 spd toploader that came out of a 1970 mustang 302. I was wondering where I can find a bellhousing to mate the two together? I would prefer if it was used or original and I am on a limited budget. Please send me an email with any leads. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I second the ebay thing, they're almost a dime a dozen there, well maybe $40-50 a piece. I wouldn't pay more for one. Just make sure you don't get a 79-up bellhousing, those are longer for the later SROD's and Tremec's inch longer input shafts.

Truck bells are slightly deeper too. Will cause input failure.

Early bells (5 bolt type) won't work for you either.

You have 3 choices:
1) Lakewood steel bellhousing. Expensive new, cheap used. Will readily accept 10.5" clutch and flywheel. The 11" can be made to work, but it is very tight.

2) The 10.5" 289-302 bell. It is aluminum and uses the smaller clutch/flywheel.

3) The 11" 302 Boss/351c/w bell. It is iron. Strong, but heavy. It uses the larger clutch/flywheel for better power transfer. It works very well on a 289-302 and is all I have used due to more clamping area. The truck 11" is just like this, but is .250 deeper.

I have 2 11" bells, and 1 10.5" bell laying around. One 11" is off a 70 Stang. Boss 302 from what the numbers on the tranny said.
I am in Pensacola FL.
I am not game for shipping the thing, but would do a local sale.
Dave