In need of an AOD governor

02 281 GT

Agreed...My wife has great Boobs
15 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Cabot, AR
I'm doing a stock Mustang 5.0 build for my Mercury and will need to do something about the shift points in the AOD. Far as I know, there is little difference between the Mustang AOD and the one in my Mercury save for the governor that allows higher shift points in the Mustang. I'll need to swap in a Mustang governor in order to not have the car fall on its face every time it up-shifts. Does anyone have an AOD laying around they wouldn't mind cannibalizing for a good cause?

• Sponsors (?)

So TransGo wasn't terribly helpful. They only told me that the governors in the kit aren't set for a specific shift RPM. Rather, actual shift points will be determined by a combination of the governor and your rear end gear.

I was looking around and found that Summit still has a TransGo governor kit (TransGo says it's discontinued) that is spec'd to bring the shift points up to 5500 RPM. That would probably be perfect for me. I suppose if you're not sure which one to send, I could just go with that? It's fairly inexpensive.

Found the instructions for the kit. Looks like you have to get into the valve body to do it.

For the governor
20190319_115454.jpg

Related parts for the valve body.
20190319_115442.jpg

Parts still sealed in the bag
20190319_115556.jpg

It looks like all the parts needed are in the bag...4 governor valves, red spring, green spring, and orange spring.

Looks like the kit you found has the same parts in it. If you want it, e-mail me your address and I'll get it in the mail. I can also make copies of the instructions and send them too.

Dave

ETA: I got this kit for an AOD I built for my truck. I decided not to use the hi-rev part because I was going for low-end torque and wanted a little earlier shifts. Learned when stepping on it, it still shifts between 5500-6000.

Reactions: 1 user
There's a tech guy that works at PATC. He takes calls at a specific time of the day. He knows the AOD intimately. I had him on the phone a few times during my AOD build for the vert. If you want good advice on the AOD and other transmissions im sure too, this is where I recommend getting it. They can supply the parts you need too. If you're gonna rebuild an AOD, the have an awsome DVD that walks you through the process.

https://transmissioncenter.net/

Reactions: 1 user
There's a tech guy that works at PATC. He takes calls at a specific time of the day. He knows the AOD intimately. I had him on the phone a few times during my AOD build for the vert. If you want good advice on the AOD and other transmissions im sure too, this is where I recommend getting it. They can supply the parts you need too. If you're gonna rebuild an AOD, the have an awsome DVD that walks you through the process.

https://transmissioncenter.net/
I'll give them a call and get their opinion on what I'm wanting. I'm not really looking into a rebuild right now. The AOD in my Mercury shifts great and doesn't show any signs of needing a rebuild. I'm mostly just trying to get some more higher end power for highway driving.

I’m using stock govenor in my aod. To get higher shift points I’m using a Bauman shift kit. Best kit out there for aod. I get 5500 1-2 and a 5000 2-3. That’s with selector on OD and automatic upshifts.

If you’re inclined to pull the valve body and fiddle with it, call Bauman too.

https://www.becontrols.com/aod.shtml

All good replies, but I want to reiterate that I'm not looking for firm WOT up shifts. I'm just looking to increase the shift point in my Mercury's stock AOD.

Remember, this car is currently equipped with the lower performance version with the old 289/302 firing order. It makes the same amount of torque as the 5.0 HO, but it comes on 1000 RPM earlier. Hence, earlier shifts. If I put what is essentially a Mustang 5.0 under the hood, these earlier shifts are going to make the car gutless on every upshift.

I drive this car mostly on the highway. The primary reason I'm doing this is to get more higher end power for better passing and what not. But I'll the higher shift points for whenever I'm city driving or accelerating on the highway. As it currently sits, the car shifts into overdrive at 41 MPH! Plenty of off the line torque, but it fall flat anywhere above 4000 RPM.

Installing a governor from a Mustang was actually a fairly common swap in the Panther platform community until they were discontinued.