Inexplicable Transmission Issue?? Mechanics Input Wanted

SN95Brah

Sep 1, 2016
So i took my 1994 5.0 with a t5 manual to get a new clutch kit installed due to difficulty getting it into gear, especially 1st and second. ALL the gears worked fine. So the shop calls me to tell me the kit is installed but now 2nd and 4th gear wont grab. i tested it, clutch is smooth and shifter goes in smoothly into all positions, but on 2nd and 4th it wont grab, engine just revs, if i hold the shifter all the way down say on 2nd itll just make a grinding noise but wont move. Other gears are fine. Obviously i didn't pay the shop for the work but now im stuck with this issue.

Im skeptical its actually an internal issue as these gears worked good all the way up until i parked it at the shop. my question is are these trannys known to have shifter or other superficial components that cause similar issues? could it be the shifter not hooked back up right? ive never messed with a transmission before and wanted some opinions before starting to take things apart.

• Sponsors (?)

what kind of shop is this? Can't they diagnose the problem or are they just parts swappers. Sounds like a bunch of nut swingers.

First
Is this a stock or aftermarket shifter? Aftermarket shifters have adjustable stops- maybe the stops are turned in too much and not allowing the shifter to fully engage those gears.

Second if that doesnt work
Have them take the shifter off and you will see into the top of the transmission. Look to see any broken/bent shifter forks, syncrhos, bearings.