Info needed to help eliminate '99 Cobra IRS hop!!!

2BADSTANGS

Jun 19, 2008
Colorado
Ok, I know I have seen some info and possibly write ups on this flying around, but I cant seem to find what I'm looking for. Heres the deal, my '99 Cobra has relatively few miles on it (11k) and usually I don't have issues with wheel hop, however the other night it was about 36 degrees out. My engine and intercooler loved it, but my IRS... not so much. I got on it in 1st gear and as I began to build boost the rear tires began to hop. I want to remidy this issue, as I am sure it would be present with a hard launch. Anyone have any good leads as to where to start? And then where to go from there? Links to write-ups would be beautiful, I used to have a good one, but seem to have lost it... Thanks!!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Well.... I don't think there's a 100% cure for wheel hop in cold weather except replacing the IRS with a SRA, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a Cobra in the first place.

First thing you can try is better rubber. If you can increase your traction you can reduce the hop. Problem is even the stickiest rubber won't help when it's 36 degrees.

Shocks with a stiffer rebound will also help some.

Poly bushings throughout the IRS.

Heavy duty torque brace.

U.M.

Nitto or M/T drag radials with warm weather will help tremendously.

Next, buy a diff brace to strengthen the cover.

IF you feel ambitious, do the diff bushings and IRS subframe bushings.

Right on with the tires Meat, it's all about temperature, the rubber turns to steel when it's cold. But as far as wheel hop goes, I installed Koni Sport adjustable shocks on my 03 and at max stiffness still got hop. But adding Eibach Pro Kit rear springs and Maximum Motorsports upper and lower rear spring isolators, the car now does not hop. It also hooks up much more quickly if you break the tires loose in a corner.

EDIT: I just added Nitto 275's and 14mm from IRS subframe bolts to replace the Ford installed 12mm bolts and have no wheel hop. Car hooks too. 600RWHP and a 275 Nitto and I am hooking!!! :banana:

Well what worked for my 03 was stock 03 front springs (600 lbs/in vs. 500 lbs/in for 99 stock springs), Maximum Motorsports top/bottom spring isolators front and rear, Eibach Pro-Kit 99-01 rear springs (Eibach part # 3590.002), and Koni Sport adjustable rear shocks.

EDIT again: Went to track with my set up, Nitto's didn't do to well at the track. 2.2 and 2.3 60ft times. I wasn't doing burnouts though. I don't want to brake anything if hop appreared. I have no hop on the street, but the track was wheel hop city.