Engine Injector choice questions- 1987 fox 5.0 AOD

• Sponsors (?)

Well in that case get yourself a repair manual for your model, not one of those autozone haynes books but a real assembly manuel, google your year mustang assembly manual, it will have a ford crest on the cover, poke around here for some builds to see what members have done, what works and what does not.
maybe some members can suggest a build thread that would help you along.

I forgot to mention there is a technical/how to thread in the 5.0 tech forum, lots of good info in there, look it over.

I forgot to mention there is a technical/how to thread in the 5.0 tech forum, lots of good info in there, look it over.
I've tried to do as much research as i can. i have a haynes manual but that's not quite the best for this. I've mainly used my dad's expertise in small block fords, but his knowledge kind of fades away once you get into fuel injection and computerized cars, he's a very old school carbureted fella. I also have an older parts bin buddy i normally confide in but he's been in the hospital for a bit and i don't want to trouble him with car junk while he's trying to relax. My car is 90% together, i mean it runs, close enough right? it's just got a buttload of issues that need to be ironed out, a long enough list it would probably take me a few minutes to type out despite my careful planning and putting things back together. my valvetrain sounds like someone's tossing nickels around in it, it idles funky, it smells like the previous owner who was a friendly little mouse living in my interior quarter panel...
But my injectors are going out, my intake has to come off, so I'm looking into upgrading them while I'm digging around in there just to have a little horsepower insurance, so to speak. I know half my issues are tied together, Just have to try and work on one at a time

Chip tune.

With a good tune, you can run 90% injectors if you wanted.

But with GT40 heads, not really much to gain with 30's over 24's. All depends on if this is your final combo or if you plan on changing the heads and such out later on

Chip tune.

With a good tune, you can run 90% injectors if you wanted.

But with GT40 heads, not really much to gain with 30's over 24's. All depends on if this is your final combo or if you plan on changing the heads and such out later on
My main plan after I get it properly running is to do a fun little junkyard turbo on it, and swap it to a 5 speed trans as well. This is a half ass budget build.... mostly because I'm broke. I only buy new if i absolutely have to, and cylinder heads are usually very expensive lol, so yes, keeping GT40s, maybe porting them down the road. I also have a bigger fuel pump, and with 24# i could probably buy an adjustable FPR and get the extra little boost in horsepower capability I need. for now, I'll probably go 19# maf, get everything set where it isn't trying to destroy itself or die on me, and then upgrade like a normal person would instead of trying to build myself into a hole

If you want cheap, just do a MAF conversion with an 94-95 SN95 MAF and 19# injectors. Should get you up and running. Later on you can go to 24's or larger an upgrade the MAF

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Where did the block come from?
Bought it from my parts bin buddy. 300 for a whole engine with accessories, came out of another 1987 Mustang GT. He was dropping in a big motor from something different and just took it out whole. If i had to guess it had close to 100,000 miles just based on the cross hatching fading away a bit, and the condition of the heads. I kept the stock pistons and crank.

Reactions: 1 user