Install guidelines for Motor Mounts

txredgt

10 Year Member
Oct 26, 2009
I have seen some threads on here about if they are easy or not and the general feelings it seemed was that it is a do-able install for a shade tree mechanic. Is there any articles or writeups on how to go about doing these? I was told about 300 to do them which seems off to me but I trust the shop who told me that. I would rather not spend 300 bucks on this and want to try it myself 1st.

• Sponsors (?)

Do you have an engine hoist available? That would certainly make the job a whole lot easier.

I have this hoist but I am thinking I might have to take the hood off to use this one:

Torin Big Red Folding Shop Crane — 1-Ton Capacity | Engine Hoists | Northern Tool + Equipment

But I am thinking that this one here might be the better one to get for this particular job:

Torin Big Red Engine Support — 1100-Lb. Capacity, Model# TRE4007 | Hoisting Accessories | Northern Tool + Equipment

While this is a job that a shade tree mechanic can do, it is not a walk in the park. $300 is not an unreasonable sum for someone else to do the work (IMO). However, I do understand the DIY angle.

The job does call for the starter to be removed (access). Starter removal is a PIA for the 1st timer. Consider having a 13mm flex socket and a long extension available.

My advice. Make sure the under car access is good esp if working with jack stands. Likely you will be under the car for a while. IMO the fender brace motor support will provide better under car access.

While this is a job that a shade tree mechanic can do, it is not a walk in the park. $300 is not an unreasonable sum for someone else to do the work (IMO). However, I do understand the DIY angle.

The job does call for the starter to be removed (access). Starter removal is a PIA for the 1st timer. Consider having a 13mm flex socket and a long extension available.

My advice. Make sure the under car access is good esp if working with jack stands. Likely you will be under the car for a while. IMO the fender brace motor support will provide better under car access.

+1 on the starter. The top 3rd bolt is what is frustrating. When I put the engine back in the car (engine and trans together) I left the top most bolt out in case I need to replace the starter in the future.

Question is, how bad is the mount at this point?

+1 on the starter. The top 3rd bolt is what is frustrating. When I put the engine back in the car (engine and trans together) I left the top most bolt out in case I need to replace the starter in the future.

Question is, how bad is the mount at this point?

Passenger side is torn and causing the header on that side to hit the k member... So it's time to get it done.

Just going to get the shop to do it. They actually told me 200 for the install and I got the mounts for right at less than 100 so that seems like a good deal for me not to do it myself. Maybe next time..