installed 24lb injectors, mass air, and put upper intake back, now engine whistles?

staticc

Founding Member
Sep 28, 2002
Jupiter, FL
now thats it running again, after the install. my engine whistles?! and runs crappy. it pops in my headers when starting, and. the tone is different. like its harder for the engine to fire. and doesnt rev as fast.. i havent reved it very high at all. not with it running like this.

is this new tiny whistling my injectors? shifted gasket when i reinstalled my upper intake? :shrug:
its very short in duration. but happens very frequently.

any input is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

BlackFox5.0 said:
Vacuum leak? Did you plug in all the lines?

thought i did :shrug:
the 2 smaller ones on the back of the intake. and the thicker one that runs to "S", and one on the EGR. but, i turned the PCV valve tube up so its near the top back of the engine. maybe it was the PCV valve whistling?

what kind of tb/intake do you have? I have the same problem except my car runs decent. It almost sounds like a high pitch blow off valve but really short lengthwise, right? And it happens like halfway on the throttle but not when you are flooring it? haha maybe i met someone with the same prob as me!

Drew

it does it while idling for me.
i have a GT40 intake, and stock? throttlebody i think.
i dont know how it will whistle if i hit the gas, ill have to try.

i think a better spark will help my car. so i going to install my MSD box, coil, distributor, wires.. and see how it runs/sounds then

i know this isnt the whistling problem but hey, it runs like crap right now lol

I already have the msd setup and it still whistles! haha people ask me what my car has under the hood and i tell them its a secret haha i bet people think i have a turbo or something, it sounds pretty weird on my car

D347643 said:
I already have the msd setup and it still whistles! haha people ask me what my car has under the hood and i tell them its a secret haha i bet people think i have a turbo or something, it sounds pretty weird on my car

im about to put in a blaster coil. i heard THOSE whistle too. my car is going to sound like a humming bird or something.
oh well at least they might think im running a turbo :shrug:

The whistle is most likely a leak in the upper intake. You said you took it off. I'll bet that is it. You need to retorque the upper manifold between 20-24 ft. lbs. If that does not work change the gasket and torque down again.

D347643 said:
what kind of tb/intake do you have? I have the same problem except my car runs decent. It almost sounds like a high pitch blow off valve but really short lengthwise, right? And it happens like halfway on the throttle but not when you are flooring it? haha maybe i met someone with the same prob as me!

Drew

Sounds to me like that's just air running through the TB, especially if it only happend when the throttle is at a certain position. A friend of mine has an '02 Viper that whistles quietly at certian RPMs. When I noticed it I asked said it sounded like his belt was slipping. He explained that when he ordered the car he had the dealer change the intake to a K&N straight intake to up the horsepower by 10 or so (the stock intake apparently has air baffles). As a side effect, the air coming into the scoop will actually whistle at certian RPMs.

This can be tested by interupting the airflow at the point that you believe causes the whistling.