Installed 5 leafs and caltracs, need softer shocks

stangman67

Feb 8, 2003
connecticut
I put in 5 leaf standard eye, should have used mid eyes) and caltracs set on 1/4 turn preload. The rear sits alittle high, im hoping it will settle, but its is very bumpy now. I have kyb gas-a-just shocks on all corners, and i was wondering what shocks you may have used that offer a softer ride. These shocks took quite a bit of effort to compress in order to install in the new lower shock mount. Thanks for your input.

• Sponsors (?)

Well, on the cheap end: Autozoo and Advance have shocks for about $15 each that have a soft ride w/o being boatlike. I've used these and they work fine...can't remember if they were Gabriel or Monroe.

I too had the same combination. Caltracs, 5 leaf springs, and the gas-a-just springs. The car rode like a log truck with every bump exaggerated by the stiffness of the rear.

Run over a toad, jar your teeth.

My solution was adjustable shocks. In particular, I use the Rancho 9000 series 9 way shock that Calvert recommends with the Caltracs. Model # RS99904. Unfortunately, due to recent price increases, these shocks are now about $100 each through Summit. :-( To me, the better ride was worth it as these shocks work great.

Each shock has a little knob on it that helps you dial a ride. I use 2 clicks on the street and 5 clicks at the track. The difference in ride is "tremendous." Shocks do make a difference.

1IMG_0797_tn.jpg

You could also back off your Caltracs 1 turn when on the street, but I found little difference when using the gas-a-justs. Find a softer shock.