Engine Installed BBK 70mm Throttle body and intake. Need Help!

Rick88

Mar 17, 2021
Alabama
So being me I decided to buy the BBK 70mm Throttle Body and EGR spacer with the BBK intake, because, why not. Had fun trying to get the stock one off (took 2 days) and got everything installed today. Now I cannot get the Idle set! I looked for vacuum leaks and can't find any. The instructions say to turn the set screw 5 turns but when I do that the car will crank to 4k RPM so I backed it off till it was just touching the plate and went 5x 1/2 turns. That put the car at 2K. Headers are glowing (probably because it was sitting at 2K for a good minute or 2:mad:) and with the screw backed all the way out (not gone just not touching the stop) it will only idle as low as 1k. This is all with the IAC unplugged (Idle air reset). I did drive it at the 1k idle and it was ok until about 10 min later, the car started wanting to just go when I was on the brake, wouldn't coast when I let off the gas, and would surge to 2.5Kish when I put it in park. I'm at my wit's end right now, been working on this all day.

I don't know if I can put the stock TB back on because the studs were rust welded to the EGR spacer. I'm sure I can get them out but really don't feel like doing it today. The car is stock as far as I know except this, AOD transmission, no codes prior to TB install. Also having issues with the shift handle coming off in my hand but one issue at a time...

• Sponsors (?)

What is your definition of intake? Did you swap your upper and lower intake or are you talking about one of those "cold air" intake tubes? Trying to see if you had your distributor out for any reason because timing can effect the idle and glowing headers is not normal.

Here's the base Idle reset exact procedure.
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/base-idle-reset.918550/ https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/resources/base-idle-reset-instructions.74/

You didn't mention what your timing is showing. That and the throttle stop screw are the two things that can buzz the idle up or down. Where in Alabama are you? I'm in Cuba, Alabama.
I'll check the timing later this week, but I haven't touched it. Honestly didn't even think of that. I hope I can read it, haven't done timing on something since the 90's lol.

I'm in Cullman, so northern Alabama. Thanks for offering though.

What is your definition of intake? Did you swap your upper and lower intake or are you talking about one of those "cold air" intake tubes? Trying to see if you had your distributor out for any reason because timing can effect the idle and glowing headers is not normal.
Yea it's a BBK cold air intake. No, I haven't messed with the distributor but that doesn't mean it's not off... I'll check it this week.

So still stock MAF? I would put the stock intake tube and filter box and MAF on just to eliminate some variables - assuming still 19 lbs injectors.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
So still stock MAF? I would put the stock intake tube and filter box and MAF on just to eliminate some variables - assuming still 19 lbs injectors.
There is a MAF but it's not hooked up. The car isn't a MAF car yet so it doesn't have a MAF ECU (sorry just woke up and can't think of the proper name). And yes still 19# injectors.

Put it back to stock again.
If you are in the process of converting to mass air, finish that first.
One issue at a time.
I don't think the opening of a stock intake is 70mm anyway.

Here's the base Idle reset exact procedure.
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/base-idle-reset.918550/ https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/resources/base-idle-reset-instructions.74/

You didn't mention what your timing is showing. That and the throttle stop screw are the two things that can buzz the idle up or down. Where in Alabama are you? I'm in Cuba, Alabama.
Thank you for the tip! I guess I got a little too mad and somehow hit my distributor. My timing was way off. She is running like a dream now! I owe you a beer!