installed high volume oil pump, got a ? though

jae902

Feb 11, 2003
The motor is off the car on an engine stand. So i flipped it upside down, took off the old pump and shaft. The new on looks like it just sits inside a hole and kind of dangles there, the other end of it fits inside a groove on the oil pump. IS that correct. I don't see how this works. Shouldn't there be grooves or something on the other side of the oil shaft, does the shaft spin or pump. Would hate to start a motor without the pump working.

• Sponsors (?)

jae902 said:
The motor is off the car on an engine stand. So i flipped it upside down, took off the old pump and shaft. The new on looks like it just sits inside a hole and kind of dangles there, the other end of it fits inside a groove on the oil pump. IS that correct. I don't see how this works. Shouldn't there be grooves or something on the other side of the oil shaft, does the shaft spin or pump. Would hate to start a motor without the pump working.

If you pull the shaft out, there should be something on it to keep it from going up in the motor. This isn't always there. The other end of the shaft goes into the bottom of the distributor. If it doesn't have the thing that causes it to keep from rising up, sometimes when you pull the distributor. it pulls the shaft up out of the pump and sometimes falls out or doesn't engage the pump when you reinstall the distributor. Then when you start the motor, you burn up the bearings and have an expensive machine shop bill.

This is a sort of simplified explanation.

1320stang said:
If you pull the shaft out, there should be something on it to keep it from going up in the motor. This isn't always there. The other end of the shaft goes into the bottom of the distributor. If it doesn't have the thing that causes it to keep from rising up, sometimes when you pull the distributor. it pulls the shaft up out of the pump and sometimes falls out or doesn't engage the pump when you reinstall the distributor. Then when you start the motor, you burn up the bearings and have an expensive machine shop bill.

This is a sort of simplified explanation.

O, ok, i gotcha. The distributor is off the engine right now, so the other end goes to the distributor, that makes sense now. It does have that little piece that keeps it from coming up. With this high volume pump, i have an 8 qt oil pan too. So that should be plenty of oil.