Installing headers! tips and tricks?

beanplant

Founding Member
Jun 25, 2002
KC MO
Hey, after school today, I'm installing some longtubes on my '69. I've done exhaust before, but never headers. Are long tubes any different?
I know that I'm going to have to cut my exhaust, because I don't have a welder. So after I get them on, I'm going to have to take it to my muffler shop to have them weld me in a connecting pipe. Any tricks and tips will help! Thanks!

-Shaun

• Sponsors (?)

I would loosen up the motor mounts and put a jack under the engine and jack it up a bit...also jack up the car and put some jack stands under it....then just slide the headers up from underneath the car. its a fairly simple task. if you had some header studs, it makes it a little easier. Have fun.

I got the old ones off no problem. I just unscrewed the manifold bolts, and cut off the system when it straightened out. But now I'm hungry, and I'm gonna go to McDonalds and then put the headers on lol. Thanks guys!

-Shaun

Use a good gasket, don't shop price here. Also the small headers bolts help.
I installed long tubes on my 69/302 PS car without having to touch the motor mounts. Just had to jack it up high enough..use jackstands. You will need to retighten the bolts after a coupla runs.

On my 69/351c, I laid the headers in place before I dropped in the motor.

I had an easy time installing my Tri-Y's. I got my passenger side header in through underneath the car, and the driver's side header in through the top of the engine bay without having to disconnect anything. I didn't even have to remove my Monte Carlo bar.

skywalker said:
I've ever done headers, do you generally just need to get a flange to weld on to your pipes and then attach the headers that way? Is that assumption correct?

yes, if the collecter size and pipe size are the same. Usually people buy a reducer to bolt to the header and clamp or weld onto their exhaust pipe.

Skywalker...are you going to Grudge Wars this weekend in Reynolds, GA at SDR?

allcarfan said:
yes, if the collecter size and pipe size are the same. Usually people buy a reducer to bolt to the header and clamp or weld onto their exhaust pipe.
That's What I had gathered. I'm planning to put some on my car soon though it make take a little bit of work to deal with my clutch cable. I'm confident I can solve that problen though. I jsut can't decide if I want tri-y's or long-tubes, is there an in between? (i don't think I'd call shorties in between.)

allcarfan said:
Skywalker...are you going to Grudge Wars this weekend in Reynolds, GA at SDR?

Sadly no. I've got finals next week and I NEED to do well. Where the heck is reynolds anyhow, I've never been there?