Installing o/r H-Pipe... will Check Engine light sacrifice power?? Mil eliminators??

Andrew_5.0

Founding Member
Jul 21, 2000
CA, USA
I have read a bunch of threads, but still have not found a direct answer. I am planning on installing an o/r h-pipe on my 99GT this Tuesday. I know that damn light is going to come on. When it does, is the timing, air/fuel, or anything like that being thrown off by the computer?? I dont know much about the OBDII computer. Will it think something is wrong and start messing with the system to try and 'protect' itself?

My brother has an EVO and he made his own MIL eliminators. I am thinking about doing that, too. Well, not really eliminators. They look like homemade extensions, that just keep the O2 sensor further out of the h-pipe-- so it sniffs less of the exhaust.

i just dont want my car too run rich, have retarded timing, or anything like that once I installed the off-road h-pipe.

Thanks for the help!

• Sponsors (?)

just get you some mils man, they fool your comp. into thinking the cats are still there. do yourself a fav. and get them and put them on. i have had them on my car for 4 months and no prob. at all

I have heard that its just a light and doesn't mean anything, and I have heard that your engine will be out of wack. Just take the extra step and get mils or a chip. Its worth it in the long run.

Craig Mack said:
It's just a light, it has no other impact whatsoever. It is not tied into the engine, performance, how your computer runs, etc. in any fashion.

I definately plan on getting MILs... I just dont think I will have them in time for the midpipe install. I want to have the light off, so I know if something else goes wrong-- obviously.

I just wanted to know if it had ANY impact on my car's performance, whatsoever. As long as it does not, I am content.

Is this for certain? I dont mean to contradict anybody directly, I just see some disagreement here.

Thanks!

Andrew_5.0 said:
I definately plan on getting MILs... I just dont think I will have them in time for the midpipe install. I want to have the light off, so I know if something else goes wrong-- obviously.

I just wanted to know if it had ANY impact on my car's performance, whatsoever. As long as it does not, I am content.

Is this for certain? I dont mean to contradict anybody directly, I just see some disagreement here.

Thanks!

I will bet my left testicle + my life savings on it.