Installing oil pressure and water temp gauges. Quick?s

astronut1885

Founding Member
Jan 31, 2002
Assonet, MA
Hey guys. I'm installing a pair of aftermarker gauges soon, and I have a couple of questions. Back in my 5.0 days, installing these meant loosing the stockers. Now I'm pretty sure the oil gauge can be plugged into a secondary port on the piece extending from the block (can't think of the name) where the stock sending unit is. My question is more on the temp gauge. Is there a second bung in the intake for an aftermarket probe, or do I have to remove the stock one? If so, will it do any harm to my tune or the computer's settings running with the factory temp sensor removed. I've got all the wiring aspects down, and if you guys fill me in on this, I should be good to go.
Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

all I know is that I just replaced my plastic intake w/ an aluminum one and tried to use a different coolant temp sensor than the original and it pegged the temp gauge at H and the car ran like CRAP. So I think the car does run based loosely on readings from that sensor.

i just put an autometer water temp gauge in and plugged it directly to the engine block. there are some other forums with the write ups and pictures but it's really simple. the oil pressure/temp gauge i made a T fitting off an extra port on the oil filter housing and plugged the oil temp/press into that t-fitting. so all the stock gauges still work but now i have autometer gauges too.