Installing struts & shocks this weekend - anything I need to know before I start?

BMan5150

Founding Member
Feb 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Just bought Tokico Illuminas for the front and Bilstein rear shocks. Couple of questions:

Is this as straightforward as it seems? The rears seem like a breeze other than removing the interior trunk trim.

How can I remove the interior trunk trim without breaking it?

Any advice that might save me some time would be greatly appreciated. I did the spring install myself so I'm hoping it's somewhat similar (but I would think the rear shocks would be even simpler than springs since you don't have to disconnect the LCA from the axle.)

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

There are snaps holding the trim in place. You can pull carefully when it is warm out and not worry about it.

Take your time, remain patient, and have a friend to console you in times of frustration.

Oh, a sixer never hurts.....hell, get a case. :cheers:

If you are like me, you will crack the trunk trim, you will have to put in back in 3 or 4 times before it is kinda right.

The rears are ridiculously easy.

A Haynes manual will help a lot.

thanks guys. You just reminded me that I do have a haynes manual, so I'll definitely check this out before I start. Looking forward to playing around with those illuminas and also fixing my very poor ride quality (very worn stock shocks & struts.)

you might have to remove the brake calipers on the fronts

How can I remove the interior trunk trim without breaking it? fairly easy, just clips/pins, just pull/silde the side trims out

you don't really need a spring compressor just work the controls arms down slow

double check the isolators for wear/tear

get some beer, it'll go quicker :nice:

One thing the Haynes manual says you need to remove the three bolts and take off the stock caster plate. Not true, just remove the top not on the strut and drop it right out.

VERY good advice guys!! This is the kind of stuff I was looking for. I'm thinking I technically won't need an alignment if I leave the stock cc plates secured. That is, if it's OK to begin with.

I don't recall having to remove the calipers to install the springs, but I honestly don't totally remember. I would think it would be the same for the strut install :shrug: