Insurance Industry practice

cobra_2_76

Founding Member
Aug 24, 1999
Norwalk, Ohio
I just recently called my agent to have my Cobra put storeage, removeing all insurace except comprehensive. I’ve been doing this for 20 years. Two days later I got a call to say that they wouldn’t reduce the rate on a stated value or collector policy anymore and I’d have to pay the full amount all year or cancel the car.

She said this is a change in industry practice. She’s been a good agent but I have to wonder when things like this happen.

I’ve got the Cobra on the same policy as the cars and house because my daughters still live at home and the rate has been really good. The speciality insurers either are the same price or won’t insure the car for the reason my children have their licenses.

Anyone else experiencing this???

Dave

• Sponsors (?)

I have my II covered under classic insurance through Allstate, and I pay $12 a month, so I leave it on the road year-round.
Even so, if it wasnt for the fact that I've been with Allstate for 19 years, I would have already switched to State Farm, because they provide a lot better(read: less of a douchebag) service than the rest of them. If you ever need a car repaired at a body shop and they find out you have Progressive or Allstate, they probably won't like you much.

Blue Thunder said:
I have my II covered under classic insurance through Allstate, and I pay $12 a month, so I leave it on the road year-round.

So what is your basis for the $12 a month. Stated value of the car or do you just have it on your policy?

I have a stated value....only reason I think they paid for the hood and cowl replacement when the latch failed. No questions asked and price was in the neighborhood of $5,000 for everything. Drilling out the cowl panels is a pricy jop.

Dave

From the bodyshop side:

You have to understand that the insurance industry and their policies and practices are changing all the time.

At one time, State Farm was the worst for specifying aftermarket parts. Following the class action suit, they did a 180, and specified used or OE on everything except radiators and condensors, and common mechanical parts that usually are sourced through the aftermarket anyway. We'll see how the court's overturning of the class action settlement affects their policies shortly, I imagine.

Progressive just flat out sucks. Aftermarket everything , and it doesn't matter if the car has 100 miles on it, it's going to get aftermarket. Geico is just as bad. You must understand that these companies are able to discount their rates for a reason, and that it's not going to be that they settle for less net profit. Aside from paying their personnel less, the money has to come from somewhere.

Farmers currently sucks...aftermarket everything, and constant arguing over judgement times on repairs. They also don't particularly care about the long-term viability of a repair, or if repairing a panel is a lesser repair than replacing it (we're talking weld-on panels here).

Allstate, despite their generally poor reputation, isn't too bad, as long as you are not on the "PRO" (Priority Repair Option) program. In fact, the local office routinely writes to replace items that we as PRO shops would take major crap over writing. I guess when they have to deal face to face with the consumer, they prefer to avoid possible confrontation.

God help you if you have to deal with one of the myriad of smaller companies...guide 1, Atlanta casualty, farmer's union, dairyland, country companies, etc. They usually use an outside appraisal service, and endlessly haggle over every little item.

Now, having said all that, you also have to realize that there are good people and incompetent people in all these companies, and many are not happy with their situation. Add to that the fact that most every shop or consumer they deal with assumes they are an idiot , a liar, and a cheat, and it's not too hard to understand why they tend to be on the defensive. Our Farmer's rep is a decent guy, but corporate is busting his balls over every little thing, and it unfortunately trickles down to impact us at the shop, whether it be attempting to repair a panel that you know isn't going to repair, or arguing over betterment on tires, batteries, etc. Operating policies and how they are implemented also vary from area to area, even within the same company.

I have a very good friend that works as an adjuster for Allstate, and though he is well-paid, he's building his own business, because he said it's obvious that the industry cannot survive if it continues operating the way it is now. Of course, he tends to apply logic to decisions made in the course of his job, and that doesn't sit well with management. They also resent that he actually knows something about automobiles, as apparently most mid-upper and upper management do not.

As to the actual topic: Farmer's will not allow you to carry just comp on a vehicle in Oklahoma, apparently. I tried a couple of years ago. Didn't matter a bit that the car was without engine, had to carry liability to keep the comp.

Hey, Dave! Sorry to hear about your insurance hassles, but you should check out Haggerty collector car insurance. I have it on my 78 King, and on my 80 Pinto wagon. They are both reasonable and understanding. You can apply online. Check them out.

BTW: I put Sal's question in my "Inside SVT" column in Mustang Enthusiast this month because I wanted the guys at the office to know why I sent him an honorary certificate. Oh, and I quit driving the King to work because one of the Roush office workers parked next to me and left a ding in my passenger side door! (But at least Hau Thai-Tang got to see it -- sort of inspiration not to mess up the new Shelby!)

And yes, I have three II's now -- my King (which goes back to storage this month), my black/gold 78 T-top 302 4-speed Cobra II which I had bought new and will be restoring for the next decade, and the white/red 77 T-top 302 auto Cobra II that I bought off Joe Rementer in NY last year. Joe had the car 90% restored, and all I need to finish is to add a new drivetrain to get it back on the road. (Hopefully by next summer!)

The wife diverted all my car funds to get the seats redone in the Pinto and have the bodywork and paint done -- so my IIs will have to wait til next spring.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

cobra_2_76 said:
I just recently called my agent to have my Cobra put storeage, removeing all insurace except comprehensive. I’ve been doing this for 20 years. Two days later I got a call to say that they wouldn’t reduce the rate on a stated value or collector policy anymore and I’d have to pay the full amount all year or cancel the car.

She said this is a change in industry practice. She’s been a good agent but I have to wonder when things like this happen.

I’ve got the Cobra on the same policy as the cars and house because my daughters still live at home and the rate has been really good. The speciality insurers either are the same price or won’t insure the car for the reason my children have their licenses.

Anyone else experiencing this???

Dave

I have collector's insurance for all my cars except for two which are daily drivers. all others have antique tags. its a one-time payment which lasts for the entire year. i have the highest coverage on the cobra and the impala. good for collision, towing, parts, etc. it doesn't say anything about parades though :crazy:

I just carry straight liability on all my rigs along with uninsured motorist. The ol' lady's explorer has comp only because we owe $$ against it. I figure, if it's thier fault they pay, if it's my fault I pay and with the kinda repairs alot of shops are performing for insurance companies I'd rather just take the cash and do it myself/arrange with another shop. At least I'll know it's done right and to my satisfaction. :nice:

We do have a handful of shops here in town that do complete/collision paintjobs on classic cars. Definately not cheap, but they have been springing up ever since Overhaulin, American Hot Rod, and such shows have become popular. I'm guessing the $$ must be coming out into the open again.:shrug:

78 venom said:
BTW: I put Sal's question in my "Inside SVT" column in Mustang Enthusiast this month because I wanted the guys at the office to know why I sent him an honorary certificate. Oh, and I quit driving the King to work because one of the Roush office workers parked next to me and left a ding in my passenger side door! (But at least Hau Thai-Tang got to see it -- sort of inspiration not to mess up the new Shelby!)

Maybe you have something there. Ford issuing honarary SVT status to Mustangs selected by Ford. Sort of like have your car selected as an editors choice and featured in a magazine. Knowing your marketing savvy you can spice it up a lot more.

Dave

I have my insurance through ERIE. My Cobra costs about $200.00 a year and they factor in that it will mainly not be driven from oct- feb. So I do not worry about takin it off,or trying to just put comp on it. It is not like the old days when you could just drop the damn stuff and pick it up again without surrendering your plates. Oh well, such is life though and it's not getting any better. I am going to check out haggerty though.

Dano78 said:
We do have a handful of shops here in town that do complete/collision paintjobs on classic cars. Definately not cheap, but they have been springing up ever since Overhaulin, American Hot Rod, and such shows have become popular. I'm guessing the $$ must be coming out into the open again.:shrug:

Ding ding ding...we have a winner!

Most shops won't be hassled with it because most average people have very unrealistic expectations of what it costs to do it right. I actually had a guy say to me about 8 years ago on a $275.00 repair estimate.."$275...I didn't want to get the whole car painted, just the damaged part" :rolleyes: