Paint and Body Intake Manifold Paint

Rdub6

So while I wait to figure out my rear end issues
5 Year Member
Dec 29, 2017
Long Island, NY
I’m soon to be painting my intake. I was debating on matching body color, and I’ve found a pretty close match, but it is not high heat paint.
Do I need high heat engine paint for the upper intake?

I say give it a try. The upper is so easy to remove it's no big deal to do it again if you have to.

Me? I was never a flashy under the hood guy. Too hard to keep it looking good. I focus on proper and reliable function under the hood. I'll pop my hood at request anytime, just don't expect a glimmering show piece. Do expect things to look the way they should.

Reactions: 1 users
The intake doesn't get hot enough to be considered high heat. Don't get me wrong it gets hot underhood on a 90 degree day, but you can still kinda put your hand on it. Lower might get a tad warmer.

I'd see what temp range the paint you want to use can handle. Intake might see 150 F or so? Maybe a tad higher

I’m gonna try the paint out on a valve cover first. I figure that’s easier to strip back down than the intake if I don’t like the outcome.

If not, I’ll just go with polishing covers and some silver back on the upper.

Cleaned the first one up last night.

The vakve covers do see more heat than the intake. I haven't had good luck making high temp paint last more than a couple years. I've had clear coats yellow as well

Regular automotive paint will work just fine.

The only areas that would get too hot are the heads and exhaust manifolds/headers.

You could even paint the block if you desired.

Reactions: 1 users
Powder coat. By the time I have waisted energy getting material the time to prep and paint it right - the powder to me looks better, cleans easier and is so much more durable

That’s 4-5k miles - getting caught in rain etc . Again just my opinion . I just re did a bunch stuff including the valve covers . Lower intake now . Timing cover , heater core pipes etc .

Attachments

• DA4A1A66-14DE-4D0F-88A3-8D92E28A91F9.jpeg
    490.5 KB · Views: 457
Reactions: 3 users

Your MSD box is upside down.

Reactions: 1 user
So, after much contemplation, I decided to paint a valve cover. I cleaned the crap out of it. Washed it, rinsed it, washed it again. Final clean was with mineral spirits. Primed with a self etching primer. Wet sanded that with 400. Then I went to work on my very amateur painting skills. It looked great for a while, but when completely dried, I see about a half inch or so on the edge looking dull. Did I not hit that with enough paint, or was it something else that caused it?

I’m thinking it’s from putting on too much material too quick. It’s a form of solvent pop.

That happens when the surface dries/hardens before the solvents had a good chance to leach out. Usually caused by putting the material on too heavy.

Completely opposite of my thought!!

There’s my “learn something new everyday” for today. Thanks!
Will applying a few more LIGHT coats get it to blend in. I’m not looking for perfect. Much of it will be hidden under the intake anyway.