Paint and Body Intake Manifold Paint

Rdub6

So while I wait to figure out my rear end issues
5 Year Member
Dec 29, 2017
Long Island, NY
I’m soon to be painting my intake. I was debating on matching body color, and I’ve found a pretty close match, but it is not high heat paint.
Do I need high heat engine paint for the upper intake?

• Sponsors (?)

I say give it a try. The upper is so easy to remove it's no big deal to do it again if you have to.

Me? I was never a flashy under the hood guy. Too hard to keep it looking good. I focus on proper and reliable function under the hood. I'll pop my hood at request anytime, just don't expect a glimmering show piece. Do expect things to look the way they should.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
The intake doesn't get hot enough to be considered high heat. Don't get me wrong it gets hot underhood on a 90 degree day, but you can still kinda put your hand on it. Lower might get a tad warmer.

I'd see what temp range the paint you want to use can handle. Intake might see 150 F or so? Maybe a tad higher

I’m gonna try the paint out on a valve cover first. I figure that’s easier to strip back down than the intake if I don’t like the outcome.

If not, I’ll just go with polishing covers and some silver back on the upper.

Cleaned the first one up last night.

F7AF376C-08D0-4F5F-A73A-CFD0B27D100D.jpeg
A9DCB74E-8BA2-4F2E-B117-BE71F44AFA09.jpeg

The vakve covers do see more heat than the intake. I haven't had good luck making high temp paint last more than a couple years. I've had clear coats yellow as well

Regular automotive paint will work just fine.

The only areas that would get too hot are the heads and exhaust manifolds/headers.

You could even paint the block if you desired.

Reactions: 1 users
Powder coat. By the time I have waisted energy getting material the time to prep and paint it right - the powder to me looks better, cleans easier and is so much more durable

That’s 4-5k miles - getting caught in rain etc . Again just my opinion . I just re did a bunch stuff including the valve covers . Lower intake now . Timing cover , heater core pipes etc .

Attachments

• DA4A1A66-14DE-4D0F-88A3-8D92E28A91F9.jpeg
    DA4A1A66-14DE-4D0F-88A3-8D92E28A91F9.jpeg
    490.5 KB · Views: 451
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users
Powder coat. By the time I have waisted energy getting material the time to prep and paint it right - the powder to me looks better, cleans easier and is so much more durable

That’s 4-5k miles - getting caught in rain etc . Again just my opinion . I just re did a bunch stuff including the valve covers . Lower intake now . Timing cover , heater core pipes etc .

Your MSD box is upside down.

Reactions: 1 user
So, after much contemplation, I decided to paint a valve cover. I cleaned the crap out of it. Washed it, rinsed it, washed it again. Final clean was with mineral spirits. Primed with a self etching primer. Wet sanded that with 400. Then I went to work on my very amateur painting skills. It looked great for a while, but when completely dried, I see about a half inch or so on the edge looking dull. Did I not hit that with enough paint, or was it something else that caused it?

2F9AE38A-3B6C-4C75-9B5C-E9784E9D3739.jpeg
CB43955C-57D7-4EE6-9CF5-3B09F0917E78.jpeg
496F9B57-A41E-4254-8A80-DC3D195679BD.jpeg

So, after much contemplation, I decided to paint a valve cover. I cleaned the crap out of it. Washed it, rinsed it, washed it again. Final clean was with mineral spirits. Primed with a self etching primer. Wet sanded that with 400. Then I went to work on my very amateur painting skills. It looked great for a while, but when completely dried, I see about a half inch or so on the edge looking dull. Did I not hit that with enough paint, or was it something else that caused it?

2F9AE38A-3B6C-4C75-9B5C-E9784E9D3739.jpeg
CB43955C-57D7-4EE6-9CF5-3B09F0917E78.jpeg
496F9B57-A41E-4254-8A80-DC3D195679BD.jpeg
I’m thinking it’s from putting on too much material too quick. It’s a form of solvent pop.

That happens when the surface dries/hardens before the solvents had a good chance to leach out. Usually caused by putting the material on too heavy.

I’m thinking it’s from putting on too much material too quick. It’s a form of solvent pop.

That happens when the surface dries/hardens before the solvents had a good chance to leach out. Usually caused by putting the material on too heavy.

Completely opposite of my thought!!

There’s my “learn something new everyday” for today. Thanks!
Will applying a few more LIGHT coats get it to blend in. I’m not looking for perfect. Much of it will be hidden under the intake anyway.