Paint and Body Intake Manifold Paint

I ran into the same issue when painting my intake. I found the best method was to simply do a light coat and then walk away. Resist the temptation to just lay it on while you are there.

img_6022-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I ran into the same issue when painting my intake. I found the best method was to simply do a light coat and then walk away. Resist the temptation to just lay it on while you are there.

img_6022-jpg.jpg

That intake looks amazing! That thing needs to go on the car already!

My patience usually does get the best of me where I want to see results right away, but I was dead set on taking time with my prep, which I did. Definitely didn’t feel like I was going heavy, but I’ll learn from it. Another valve cover to go, hopefully I’ll have it down by the time I get to the intake!

Nice job on your @Mustang5L5 !!

I was the same way. I actually messed up my first attempt and needed to restrip the intake over and start over. First time I went way too heavy with too short a period between coats and the paint actually lifted. Second time around I had to learn to slow down.

Completely opposite of my thought!!

There’s my “learn something new everyday” for today. Thanks!
Will applying a few more LIGHT coats get it to blend in. I’m not looking for perfect. Much of it will be hidden under the intake anyway.
The problem you might have is the already present solvent pop.

You might try to sand out the dull area first to remove that area. If you could look close enough, it will look like a bunch of tiny craters there.

Sand that out. Otherwise the new paint will just lie down into those mini-craters and not give you the smooth finish you’re desiring.

Reactions: 1 user
The problem you might have is the already present solvent pop.

You might try to sand out the dull area first to remove that area. If you could look close enough, it will look like a bunch of tiny craters there.

Sand that out. Otherwise the new paint will just lie down into those mini-craters and not give you the smooth finish you’re desiring.

Thanks. I’ll give it a shot. I have the day off tomorrow to try to get it fixed up. This is my test piece. If I can get this to where I’m happy with it, I’ll move forward with the other cover and the intake.

I think I got it to a point I’m happy with today.
Just a few light coats and it seems to all be blended in, with no dull spots.

Before
1B4DAE41-F380-458B-A6F5-4B89CC985F32.jpeg

After
C9A6E9BA-167F-484A-B846-6FC8155F3756.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users