Intake really needed?

Looking at buying a tuner for my 06 mustang GT, going with the SCT X3 tuner.
My car is pretty much stock all i have are SLP loudmouth tail pipes and i was hoping to put a set of cams in it soon (detroit rockers). The reason i am posting is wonderin what you guys think about a new intake, honestly is it even needed, and will it even give me that much horsepower. I know people love to advertise gains of 15 HP just from a intake, but lets get real, its just plastic tubing just about the same size as stock with a cone style air filter. Just wondering if anyone has actually done a dyno test. Sock car + tune VS Intake and tune.

• Sponsors (?)

I am just going off memory here. Stock with just steeda udp-272RWHP/277RWTQ. Bama 89tq tune no intake-282 RWHP/289RWTQ. Bama 87 per. tune/JLT-293RWHP/305RWQ. Bama 91 race and 91 tq 297RWHP/308RWTQ. Dyno runs were done on different days but the temp was not that much different. All dynos runs are SAE corrected.

I am just going off memory here. Stock with just steeda udp-272RWHP/277RWTQ. Bama 89tq tune no intake-282 RWHP/289RWTQ. Bama 87 per. tune/JLT-293RWHP/305RWQ. Bama 91 race and 91 tq 297RWHP/308RWTQ. Dyno runs were done on different days but the temp was not that much different. All dynos runs are SAE corrected.

Thats sad that it only takes a CAI and tune to get that much power out of a S197. I had to get stage II cams and every bolt on just to make 293rwhp and 310rwtq:nonono:. I would assume then with a 93 oct tune you would be 300+ rwhp and over 310RWTQ.

It really is impressive what giving a car a good set of lungs can do! A good intake and exhaust, letting that car get air in and out as easily as possible, will do amazing things. Since he already has some tailpipes you might see even a few extra's ponies from the intake and tune than a typical stock car would.

It's easy, for the most part it's cheap, and your guaranteed to see some extra horses galloping under the hood.

If price is an issue I highly recommend picking up a good tuner of your choice, and then picking up the intake and adjusting the tune after the install. A simple tune of the ECU will blow your mind too!

So much potential in that 4.6... just have to work a bit to get to it :D

Either way goodluck with the car man. Just remember your engine is a system, not just a motor. It relies on everything around it to make that power. The better the parts in that system, the better the gains from more advanced jobs you'll do (like that cam) in the future.

Thats sad that it only takes a CAI and tune to get that much power out of a S197. I had to get stage II cams and every bolt on just to make 293rwhp and 310rwtq:nonono:. I would assume then with a 93 oct tune you would be 300+ rwhp and over 310RWTQ.

According to Doug at Bamachips, the difference between different octane tunes is about 2-3hp and 2-3 tq. Too bad no 93 here in Cali. But as of now with the pypes catted x, my car is at 305-306RWHP/312RWTQ.

Well if you plan to get cams such as detroit rockers then you defiantly want a cai to fully utilize those cams. Buy a jlt2/sct combo from brenspeed or look for a used one. A tune from a reputable tuner is a must too. Bad place to skimp.

patrick

When I installed my CAI & SCT tuner onto my 05 GT with SLP loudmouths out back the first thing I noticed was the low speed driveability. The throttle is not so jumpy from a stop, meaning your passengers wont feel like you are always showing off. It smooths out the throttle plus you will feel the extra power, plus change other settings that make your ride more fun...enjoy!