Engine Intake, throttle body, mass air combo

darrylglenda96

Nov 12, 2021
LA
Hey guys.
Update on our new 93 Mustang. Picked up about a week ago and runs pretty good, but can be better. Learned it has 65 mm throttle body, 70mm mass air.
What I have done so far.
New 9mm wires, cap, rotor, gaped plugs to.50, timing 12 degrees, base idle rest.
Major problem found : changed temperature gauge sending unit, as installing Crack the lower intake.
Shopping for new intake. Looking at 72mm holley systemax. New 19 lb injecters.
Question is? What's a good throttle body mass air meter combos that will work with new intake? And also consider other mods. Thanks for any help. Darryl

• Sponsors (?)

I see from your other thread you have GT40 heads and Cobra intake. The TB/MAF you have will work fine because the heads are still a bottleneck. You really won't get the full benefit of a Systemmax intake until you change the heads for some better ones. The 65mm and 70MM MAF you already have will work perfectly fine for the combo you have right now.

Swapping the Cobra intake for the Systemmax won't really gain you power (due to the heads) but will shift the power later in the RPM band, at the cost of some power lower in the RPM range. If this is a street car, i would leave the cobra intake as it will give you more usable power. The systemmax (along with better heads) really belongs on a combo that will see a lot of time over 4-5000RPM, rather than cruising around at 2-3K on city streets.

You can open that plug gap up a tad to 0.054" as the stock plug range on stock ignition is 0.052-0.056"

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users
I see from your other thread you have GT40 heads and Cobra intake. The TB/MAF you have will work fine because the heads are still a bottleneck. You really won't get the full benefit of a Systemmax intake until you change the heads for some better ones. The 65mm and 70MM MAF you already have will work perfectly fine for the combo you have right now.

Swapping the Cobra intake for the Systemmax won't really gain you power (due to the heads) but will shift the power later in the RPM band, at the cost of some power lower in the RPM range. If this is a street car, i would leave the cobra intake as it will give you more usable power. The systemmax (along with better heads) really belongs on a combo that will see a lot of time over 4-5000RPM, rather than cruising around at 2-3K on city streets.

You can open that plug gap up a tad to 0.054" as the stock plug range on stock ignition is 0.052-0.056"
Thank you for your help. Here's my delema. I either need a used lower cobra are a whole new intake. Any advice on my problem? Thanks Darryl

Thank you for your help. Here's my delema. I either need a used lower cobra are a whole new intake. Any advice on my problem? Thanks Darryl

Why?

Hop on eBay and buy a used early explorer lower. They can be found for $100-200 on eBay or cheaper if you go to a junkyard:

RF-F87E-9K461-BA is the part number.

RF-F87E-9K461-BB is a later version that lacks EGR provisions. You can use it but it’s in your best interest to find the -BA lower

Why?

Hop on eBay and buy a used early explorer lower. They can be found for $100-200 on eBay or cheaper if you go to a junkyard:

RF-F87E-9K461-BA is the part number.

RF-F87E-9K461-BB is a later version that lacks EGR provisions. You can use it but it’s in your best interest to find the -BA lower
I found a BB on eBay. $300. It doesn't have the port on #5 runner, as the cobra does. Can you tell me what that's for? And how would I make the BB work.

I found a BB on eBay. $300. It doesn't have the port on #5 runner, as the cobra does. Can you tell me what that's for? And how would I make the BB work.

I’d keep looking. Here’s a -BB for $150

I see a few -BAs have sold recently for $100 plus shipping. Just be patient

Running the -BB lower just means deleting your EGR. You’ll have to weigh the pros/cons of doing that. You’ll also need to drill/tap the 3/8npt port for the ACT and the return coolant line for the EGR spacer

I’d keep looking. Here’s a -BB for $150

I see a few -BAs have sold recently for $100 plus shipping. Just be patient

Running the -BB lower just means deleting your EGR. You’ll have to weigh the pros/cons of doing that. You’ll also need to drill/tap the 3/8npt port for the ACT and the return coolant line for the EGR spacer
All the smog stuff has been removed. Thinking of delete egr at throttle body. Looks like port on the cobra #5 runner is bigger then 3/8. I appreciate the help. Here's another angle, do I buy something that is 25 plus old and risk it beening old. I cracked the other one pretty easy. I would be more careful this time. But I keep wanting to maybe go all new. HOLLEY SYSTEMAX

All the smog stuff has been removed. Thinking of delete egr at throttle body. Looks like port on the cobra #5 runner is bigger then 3/8. I appreciate the help. Here's another angle, do I buy something that is 25 plus old and risk it beening old. I cracked the other one pretty easy. I would be more careful this time. But I keep wanting to maybe go all new. HOLLEY SYSTEMAX

The ACT sensor and rear ports are all 3/8" NPT. I've drilled/tapped those myself many many times.

You can certainly step up to a Systemmax if you want. It's your money. Realistically though, that intake on your combo will probably result in a slight loss of power under 4000RPM and a gain of power over 4000. Which is more usable to you?

The likely cause of the intake cracking on you was RTV inside the bolt holes. When you tighened the bolts down, it likely caused the RTV/Grease/etc inside to hydraulic and crack the area.

You might even want to consider something like this. A TMoss ported lower. I'd probably try and get it for $375-400.

FYI, not that i'm trying to steer you to what I'm doing, but this is exactly what I run on my car. A Tmoss ported Cobra intake on top of TFS170 AL heads and a custom grind camshaft. I'm probably losing some power by sticking with the cobra intake, but i wanted the low end torque vs HP over 4000RPM. I'm rarely that high as i cruise around.

Reactions: 1 user
The ACT sensor and rear ports are all 3/8" NPT. I've drilled/tapped those myself many many times.

You can certainly step up to a Systemmax if you want. It's your money. Realistically though, that intake on your combo will probably result in a slight loss of power under 4000RPM and a gain of power over 4000. Which is more usable to you?

The likely cause of the intake cracking on you was RTV inside the bolt holes. When you tighened the bolts down, it likely caused the RTV/Grease/etc inside to hydraulic and crack the area.

You might even want to consider something like this. A TMoss ported lower. I'd probably try and get it for $375-400.

FYI, not that i'm trying to steer you to what I'm doing, but this is exactly what I run on my car. A Tmoss ported Cobra intake on top of TFS170 AL heads and a custom grind camshaft. I'm probably losing some power by sticking with the cobra intake, but i wanted the low end torque vs HP over 4000RPM. I'm rarely that high as i cruise around.
Thanks for the info. I've read good reviews on the holley intake. If I can find a lower for reasonable price I will do that. Problem is the difference is so small why not buy new.

Thanks for the info. I've read good reviews on the holley intake. If I can find a lower for reasonable price I will do that. Problem is the difference is so small why not buy new.
Once again, you should do what you like. I'll add two things but first:

Everything that Mustang5L5 told you is 100% and if you have additional questions about the [why] of it, you should ask them prior to ordering.

1st thing: That Cobra intake is the better intake of the two for your current combo.
2nd thing: If you are planning aluminum heads in the near future then I think the Systemax intake is a great choice.

The answer to the question you asked is the 1st thing. :)

Extra bonus thing: If it were me, I'd replace the lower intake with a TMOSS ported and start hunting for boost, injectors, and tune. :D

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Once again, you should do what you like. I'll add two things but first:

Everything that Mustang5L5 told you is 100% and if you have additional questions about the [why] of it, you should ask them prior to ordering.

1st thing: That Cobra intake is the better intake of the two for your current combo.
2nd thing: If you are planning aluminum heads in the near future then I think the Systemax intake is a great choice.

The answer to the question you asked is the 1st thing. :)

Extra bonus thing: If it were me, I'd replace the lower intake with a TMOSS ported and start hunting for boost, injectors, and tune. :D
Thank you for your advice. Iam trying to buy the TMOSS lower now.

Listen to these guys. If you don't plan on going with some nice heads then pickup an explorer lower and rock the cobra.. I've installed a Systemax 2 intake on a stock motor with headers, hpipe, catback, 70mm tb and 80mm maf and I can say it lost a good bit of low end torque. Previous setup was a cobra intake with 65mm tb. So unless your ok with it being slower or plan to swap out the ring and pinion for a lower gear set to get you out of the sloppy low end quicker I would stick with the cobra/explorer setup