Interior paint options besides what LMR offers?

Mustang936590

Jun 22, 2017
I was wondering if the vinyl/interior paint stores like Pep Boys and Autozone sell are the same as the stuff LMR offers? My issue is I already used the black paint (MET FV33) from LMR but I need to do some touch ups and don’t really want to pay $24 for another can plus wait for shipping. Has anyone color matched the stuff off the shelf to what LMR sells?

• Sponsors (?)

Problem is I don't think the quality of the typical parts store off-the-shelf stuff is on par. I was previously anti-painted interior using some of the parts stores paints/dyes due to them flaking off with use over time.

I've used SEM paint with good success. Enough success that I now have no issue with painted interior parts. I always thought the LRS paint was pricey and got some cans of SEM paint much cheaper. I used SEM 15013 Landeau Black to match my interior with good success, but that shade may not work for you based on what shade you've currently used. Perhaps a local retailer stocks SEM paint. It's still much cheaper to order online vs the LRS paint

When my son and I were restoring the interior on his notch, I became frustrated with the price and quality of the rattle cans. I purchased cans from LMR and American Muscle (SEM). My biggest gripe was the color from one can to the next didn't match. And the cans must be heavy on the solvent cause it didn't cover very well. It would look pretty good while the paint was wet, but once it dried it would look kinda blotchy. The color was titanium, but out of 4 or 5 cans, maybe 2 actually matched. I inquired about interior paint at the local PPG store, and found out they had that color in the Deltron line. It worked awesome, used a small detail gun to spray it with and covered beautifully and made the pieces I painted look factory new. If I had known about the PPG stuff, it would have saved me money and time. My $.02 :)

I've bought vinyl dye from Carquest several years ago and it was good stuff. They sold me a vinyl cleaner as well to use before spraying on the dye. Not sure if Carquest/Advance Auto still sells it though.