Intermittent cold start problem

ctrout71

Feb 2, 2010
Before I start troubleshooting by throwing parts at this problem ($$$$), I thought I would throw it out and see if I could get some quick insight here. The car is a 95 GT that appears to still be bone stock. I have looked at the crank, no start checklist and couldn't see where this would be of much value to me because there wasn't a "cranks but intermittently won't start when the temp is below 55 degrees and the car hasn't been run in 12 hours or more" section. That is a good description of the problem though. When I try to start the car for the first time of the day, it cranks strong but won't start. I hooked a timing light up while it was cranking and it does not indicate a spark. Sometimes if I try a second time, it starts right up. Sometimes I let it crank for 10-15 seconds with no spark then the next time, I get spark and it fired right up. Sometimes I have to do this 3-4 times before I finally get spark and the car starts. Sometimes, I just bump the ignition a couple times and then crank it and it will start. The coil was replace just about 400 miles ago by a mechanic who thought that was the problem but it didn't fix it. What could be the most likely cause for this and why?

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like the PIP in your distributor has gone bad. Pop off the distributor cap and see if you have any corrosion, or fine metal shavings at the bottom of the distributor.

Well I took the cap off and looked in the distributor. This car has spent its life of 74,000 miles in the desert so there was a bit of fine dust inside but I saw nothing that looked like shavings. I was thinking of buying a noid light but I already know that I'm not getting spark so wouldn't it be just the same to spend the money on what is very likely the problem and replace the PIP? How much does this piece cost? Where can I get one and what is its proper name so I know what to ask for? Also, where is the starting solenoid on this model year. I have looked on the shock towers and firewall where I am used to finding it (this is my 6th stang) and I don't see one. Where is the TFI? I thought it was attached to the side of the distributor but I don't see it.

So now I'm throwing parts at it I guess. I replaced the stator this morning and when I was done, it fired right up. First time that it has done that after being parked in 35 degree weather overnight. This looks very promising. Hopefully I have fixed the cold start problem. I pulled codes today too and got all 111s. It has the tiniest little misfife at idle too so I'll be doing a full tune-up as soon as some more money shows up. I'll report back in a week or so when I am fully convinced that the cold start issue is gone.