Drivetrain Intermittent vibration

keel

Aug 23, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I have a 1993 5.0 with the 5 speed manual. Under acceleration, sometimes the whole car vibrates fairly severely (with the RPMs) when in gear, but other times will take off as smooth as can be. It is only really noticeable in the first 3 gears. I have noticed that when the car has decided to vibrate, it continues to vibrate even when I push the clutch pedal in, but stops vibrating if I coast in neutral with the clutch pedal out. I have also noticed that the car has a tendency to decide to accelerate smoothly when I slip the clutch a lot taking off from a stop, but this does not always work.
I'm not sure if this is related to that problem, but sometimes the trans also takes a lot more force than normal to put into first gear from a stop (but shifts through all other gears normally), and other times shifts into first very easily.
I do not hear any unusual noises.
I also am led to believe that it is not any of the motor or trans mounts because I replaced all of those with polyurethane units a few months ago and none of the bolts are loose. The car only very recently developed the problem with the vibration.

• Sponsors (?)

Well the car just stranded me. The clutch stopped disengaging I believe, because the car still goes into gear with the engine off but not with the engine on. The pedal still returns, so it seems that the cable is still intact but it feels noticeably lighter. Maybe problems with the throwout bearing or the pressure plate?

Sounds like you're going to be pulling the transmission and inspecting the clutch components.

If it were mine, I would have a new clutch set with a flywheel, rear main seal, pilot bearing, and throw out bearing ready to install.

I installed a McLeod street clutch kit. I ordered everything from LMR.

I also replaced the front bearing retainer of the transmission and shimmed it to achieve the proper endplay on the bearing. It's also a good time to replace the transmission fluid.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user