Is an FMU absolutely necessary for my Novi 2000??

jmyer333

May 18, 2008
Hi guys. I am currently in the middle of my first supercharger experience. I am installing a Novi 2000 on my 93 notch with DSS 306. I have read and heard that with the proper fuel system and good tuning you can eliminate the need for an FMU. I have the FMU system that came with the kit but would like to just run from the feed line through a regulator and into the rails. Is this feasible?? From what I am hearing, the FMU is somewhat of an out-dated system. IAny help/ recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks, Jake

• Sponsors (?)

Hi guys. I am currently in the middle of my first supercharger experience. I am installing a Novi 2000 on my 93 notch with DSS 306. I have read and heard that with the proper fuel system and good tuning you can eliminate the need for an FMU. I have the FMU system that came with the kit but would like to just run from the feed line through a regulator and into the rails. Is this feasible?? From what I am hearing, the FMU is somewhat of an out-dated system. IAny help/ recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks, Jake

I hear that if you run anything over 42lbs injectors you don't need it,But if you dont you may need it. you can also calibrate the fmu based on the injectors you have..for finer tuning.(just like when you change injectors you change the air tube on your mass air....Well thats what i was told at GTR where I bought my novi 2000. I bought the kit and changed it on mine,, now I'm going to run 42lbs so I old my FMU,, hopefully I don't need it...GOOD LUCK!!!

FMUs aren't the right way to do it IMO. I'd have more faith in regular system. I'd get a big enough set of fuel rails, adequate fuel pump and lines, get it tuned well and call it good.

I am running my Kenne Bell supercharger at 6 psi (setup as per sig below - actual boost level seems to be more like 8 psi) without a FMU and it runs just fine. No special tune either.

I did have a FMU when I was running the original 19 lbs injectors and stock fuel pump, but when I swapped to TFS heads I upgraded to 30 lbs injectors, 190 lph fuel pump and a larger MAF and ditched the FMU.

In addition to compensating for bigger injectors, you also need to richen up the open loop table in the tune when not using a fmu. It's much more accurate by tuning the car vs a fmu, but the fmu is cheaper until the day it doesn't work and your car goes lean under boost. I believe that PMAS and ProM both have supercharger tunes where they fatten up the mixture over a certain amount of air. You could do something similar yourself with a DBX meter.

42lb injectos with a 255 in the tank and a 255 external with stock rails and lines is good to 500 rwhp on most cars, ive heard of guys max this fuel system out with 450rwhp but it should be relaible to 500

I'm sure you'll find that most tuners will not want to tune a car with an FMU. I use Ed Honenberg of Wolf Performance in Winnipeg. You'll find Ed in your old MM&FF magazines as he held the record years ago for running factory stock in his old black notch.

From what I was told, if you don't ditch the fmu and get a tune you are on borrowed time.

Thanks for the help guys. I have already purchased my 42lb injectors. I am running a 255 in-tank with a T-Rex in-line. All feed lines are -8AN. I live in Jacksonville, FL so I will probably see Tony at HP for tuning. He has been in the mags many times in many articles. Thanks again