Is it worth getting a King Cobra clutch for a stock engine?

• Sponsors (?)

I got one, i have a relatively stock motor, I like it, it is easier on your leg, i got one because i thought my clutch was out and was the reason i had to grind in order to get into first and reverese, turns out i just needed a clutch cable/quadrant :( there goes 800 dollers

Speed_Demon1965 said:
Just as the title asks. I found a King Cobra clutch kit for $170. I definitely am in need of a new clutch, but is it worth paying the extra little bit for the King Cobra? What benefits do I get besides the advertised 10% less pedal effort?

http://mustangtuning.com/kingcobra.html
Excellent choice for a stock or mildy modded engine. It holds more power and doesn't slip. It has just enough give to prevent you from quickly destorying your T5 if you don't abuse it a lot.

Nice choice for a bolt on driver! Good price too. Its a tad less pedal effort than a regular fmd hd clutch. My promotion modified/blueprinted fms hd pressure plate is about the same pedal effort as a king cobra fyi. You don't neec to spend the cash for my clutch though. King cobra is a good choice for you.

Just pay the extra $10 bucks or whatever (maybe $20) and get the King Cobra over the FMS HD. There is a considerable difference in the pedal effort in the few I have tried in others cars. All consistently the same...they hold the same power. Just a bit more of a cost for the King Cobra that is well worth it unless you like to go thru a workout when you drive your car daily:)

I was talking about the promotion modified/blueprinted fms hd press plate NOT the stock fms hd plate. Like I said, the pedal effort is about the same or a hair LESS than a standard king cobra. The promotion modified plate WILL handle more power and rpm over the promotion modified king cobra. (This is from promotion, not my words :) ) But we're talking the regular press plates, then the main difference is pedal effort. I daily drove a fms hd for over 50k miles and I had a king cobra for a year after than. Slightly less effort, but not that much. This is comming from someone who isn't big at all :)

Grn92lx - Yes I know. I responding to the first statement of "Its a tad less pedal effort than a regular fmd hd clutch." That is what I responding to.

I'm comparing King Cobra clutch setup and FMS HD setup. Nothing else changed. Both being compared straight of the Ford Motorsport box. Fair comparison that way:) A quite noticeable difference. Anyone would notice:nice:

I'm bigger (6 foot 3 at 205lbs) and I still like pedal effort but not what the FMS HD provides...;)

If you're not out launching on stickies at 6000rpm and powershifting the bejeezlus out of it, I'd put a stock replacment in it.

Now, my stock clutch took over 200 hard runs launching anywhere from 5000-6250 depending on track conditions, on dr's and ET Streets , and it sctatched both sets of tires on every shift. The only reason it got replaced was a bad burnout lane director got me on dry pavement and gave me the go sinal... dropping the hammer on ET Streets with 9.5psi in them is not good on clutches.

I say save money and run a stock clutch in it.

Stock clutch kits did used to be 100 bucks. Valeo makes good stuff IMHO (OEM for many Italian exotics, etc).

A cobra clutch (not KC) is a slight step up from there.

The KC is a step up from that IMHO. The third is as good as anything. I agree with David choice wise (that was my recollection about the pedal effort differences too).

Good luck.

cleanLX said:
If you're not out launching on stickies at 6000rpm and powershifting the bejeezlus out of it, I'd put a stock replacment in it.

Now, my stock clutch took over 200 hard runs launching anywhere from 5000-6250 depending on track conditions, on dr's and ET Streets , and it sctatched both sets of tires on every shift. The only reason it got replaced was a bad burnout lane director got me on dry pavement and gave me the go sinal... dropping the hammer on ET Streets with 9.5psi in them is not good on clutches.

I say save money and run a stock clutch in it.
Stock clutch kit cost me $140 when I bought one for the T-5 in my '65.
So, for $30 more, I can have this KC clutch which is a far better clutch with less pedal effort. :shrug:

HISSIN50 said:
Stock clutch kits did used to be 100 bucks. Valeo makes good stuff IMHO (OEM for many Italian exotics, etc).

A cobra clutch (not KC) is a slight step up from there.

The KC is a step up from that IMHO. The third is as good as anything. I agree with David choice wise (that was my recollection about the pedal effort differences too).

Good luck.

Yeah we have similar thoughts on some things :nice:

I bought a stock clutch Valeo replacment from Napa for $15x dollars. I could get the King Cobra for $20 bucks more:nice:

I have had the regular "cobra" clutch too. I have had 4 different clutches myself and drove several others.

I've got an OEM-style replacement unit in mine (was put in when converted from AOD to T-5) and it's okay, but it doesn't grab as quick as it should when shifting fast/hard. (RPM's don't jump or hover, it just isn't as snappy.) My previous '89 notchback had the HD clutch kit (not the KC) and that thing was a BEAST to try to shift around town. I stated walking with a limp the first week and felt like my left leg was bigger than my right after a couple of months of driving that thing. But it never, ever, EVER gave the slightest hint of slippage or weakness. I'll be putting in a KC in my current '89 notch when it comes time for replacement (probably next year), as I don't miss the freaky bulging calf muscles on one side. :D