Is my cam going to clear my valves? IM SCARED TO DEATH!!!

Been talking to a few people and one of my freinds said that max lift on stock pistons with Twisted Wedge heads is .499. I didnt check p/v clearance and I jsut looked on my cam card, i have .499 and .510 with 1.6 rockers..... am I screwed? It is a Trickflow stage 1 cam.

• Sponsors (?)

If you have the single spring setup, max lift is .540", if you have the dual spring setup (like mine) max lift is .600". It's not "is my cam gonna cause my valves to get f***ed", it's more like "are my springs able to handle 'x' amount of lift". The Stage 1 cam (that's what you went with right?) should clear. Have the heads been shaved down or anything?

Lift has nothing directly to do with P/V clearance, it's more about duration. You could have 2" of lift, and not hit the piston. What is important is how late the exhaust valve closes. It's the chasing of the piston up the bore as the exhast valve is closing that is at issue. IIRC, it's about 30° before TDC that is where you'd hit if you were going to.

If the thing is not all together yet, clay it and check and make sure. That is the only way that you will know for sure. Now if it's all together, then that's a lot of work... It depends on how much piece of mind is worth to you, and the amount of risk that you are willing to take.

Given that, I'd bet that a stage 1 with TW heads SHOULD work. That is assuming that the cam is installed 'straight up' (verified), and that the heads have not been milled. I'd call trick flow, maybe they can give some insight. At worst, they'll tell you they don't know. Wouldn't hurt to call...

Rick

CManT1914 said:
If you have the single spring setup, max lift is .540", if you have the dual spring setup (like mine) max lift is .600". It's not "is my cam gonna cause my valves to get f***ed", it's more like "are my springs able to handle 'x' amount of lift". The Stage 1 cam (that's what you went with right?) should clear. Have the heads been shaved down or anything?
I think he is worried about piston to valve clearance.

WhiteDevil said:
I think he is worried about piston to valve clearance.

Right, but his friends gave him some wrong information. His friends were talking about how much lift the heads could handle (notice my mention of both) and as Rockin Rick said, lift has nothing to do with PTVC (to some extent anyway). Maybe I wasn't very clear with my original post. I'm sure he wanted to know about PTVC, but he brought up the max lift the heads could handle, which has to do with the springs. :flag:

I have .560 lift on my daily driver...no clearance problems. Yeah p-v clearance issues aren't directly related to lift numbers itself.

Your fine:nice:

Also do remember that there is a big difference in the moving parts of an engine from hand speed (manual turn over) and 6,200rpm redline shift:D

BlueOvalStangGT said:
Been talking to a few people and one of my freinds said that max lift on stock pistons with Twisted Wedge heads is .499. I didnt check p/v clearance and I jsut looked on my cam card, i have .499 and .510 with 1.6 rockers..... am I screwed? It is a Trickflow stage 1 cam.

Absolutely nothing to worry about! I talked to a tech from tfs about this when they were at maple grove last weekend and he said that is one of the reasons (that you will clear fine!) that it is a big seller!

NOTHING TO WORRY BOUT :nice: