Is there a 79 Foxbody with an AOD from the factory?

DocBrown

Apr 14, 2022
Germany
Hi guys,

I am desperately searching for any written information if there was a 1979 Foxbody that was already equipped with an AOD from the factory.

From my understanding Ford introduced the AOD for the year 1980 but as the model change already takes place during the year before i am still hoping that a 79 Fox was already eqipped with one.

I already asked Kevin Marti, but he said he could not help me.

Without a proof I would not be allowed to convert my Cougar to AOD and still be granted road permission by the technical surveillance board here, and I would really like to do this upgrade.

Can anybody help me? Thanks in advance and beste regards
Kai

• Sponsors (?)

If you have a 79 Cougar, it is not a Foxbody.

1650204640729.png

If you have the Foxbody Cougar it did not start until 1980 and they did have the AOD.

1650204711195.png

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, you could swap it out, and some technicians will not recognize it although there following inspections every 2 years.

@KRUISR: it does not matter which car the aod was in as long as it was a 1979 Ford, Lincoln or Mercury. It is only the year where it was first build in that counts.

We are allowed to do specific changes as long as they could have been performed 10 years after the car was put in service. My Cougar is a 1969 built, so the swap is only allowed if the AOD was first built in on 1979.

That was why I asked Kevin Marti if he could run this special request for me but unfortunately this was not possible.

Reactions: 1 user
I say swap in the AOD. The tech will not likely know what the different transmissions look like. If they question what it is, tell them it is an FMX (what the AOD evolved from and likely what your Cougar came with) or a C6. Your shifter will only show 3 positions, just like stock and if you don't offer up that it is different why would they check or ask?

Here is an article that might help.
From the article: "Ford redesigned the C-4 into an overdrive automatic to lower highway driving ratios resulting in better highway MPG ratings. They called this replacement transmission the AOD, meaning automatic overdrive, and it became Ford's first automatic four-speed offering. Because the AOD is basically a retooled C-4, many classic car owners have discovered they can substitute this overdrive transmission into their '60s and '70s production vehicles relatively easily and reap the benefits of a lower final gear ratio and decreased wear and tear on their vintage small-block V-8 engine." Looks like first offering was 1980 but if you can call it a C4 you could get by.

Hi guys,

sorry for my late response.
Of course I could just swap in the transmission. You are absolutely right that no safety inspector would notice the difference.
But it gets worse if you have a crash and the car is thorougly checked or something like that. That is why I need to have that 100% safe and approved by the control board.
It is not necessary that it is a "FoxBody", it just needs to be a Ford, that has been built in 1979.

Best regards
Kai

Is the inspector even going to know what a 1979 C3/C4/C6 or AOD is supposed to look like? Do they actually look that closely?

A '79 Cougar uses a C4 I think? I mean, they look pretty darn close.

1651069234257.png

Find another inspector because AOD came out in 1980
Call the state and get his tit in a wringer
Inspections are supposed to help us all not be an undue burden
At the dealer I used to get involved in a bunch of these
Some inspector would say something somewhere
The Highway Patrol would bring the vehicle in and have us look at it
The buck stopped with us and the HP was always real nice and paid us for the runaround
They used to try to trick us as well... You gotta get up early in the morning to deal with those folks

Had one where they sent a test vehicle in that was a rust bucket
Floor boards were all rusted out
Failed the car
Passed their test
Discussed the options to fix it
The HP had us fix it and they did every time they tested us, brakes or whatever
The HP was always real courteous if you passed their test cars failure test