Is there a semi active thread on repo parts quality?

rednotch

Founding Member
Aug 14, 2000
south jersey
Used a lot of repo parts over the years but not all of it, from weather Stripping to trim parts there a lot of overlapping manufacturers and stuff that's rebranded by the big mustang shops. I suck at searching stuff since the last board update so there might be a thread I can't find.

One I haven't tried yet are the arms rest pads. I know scott drake has them, Daniel carpenter and dashes direct but never can find info which one are decent, just complaints about house brands who like to switch up suppliers

Same for the trim parts, lights, switches and seals along with other repo parts for the fox body. Figure a thread keeping track might be helpful. just a few brands that I can think of that offer reproduction style parts for these cars, the sheet metal stuff is all most all the same rebranded made in Taiwan parts from what i've used over the years, save for a few low quality patch panels that come from somewhere in canada like those rocker covers most shops offer, slip over covers that are no where close to oem stampings.

ACP
Acme
Daniel carpenter
Dorman
Depo
Dashes direct
Fairchild
R.E.M
Scott drake
Shee-Mar
Soft seal
TYC
TMI
Osbourne reproductions
KSR. Think they folded up years ago now
A lot of others that got bought up. Like how mustang unlimited and corvette America became top flight automotive, they used to have some brands you don't hear about any more.

• Sponsors (?)

most everything you get on LMR or AM is rebranded Chineesium parts with a markup. If you are looking for OEM, try Rock Auto first or FordPartsGiant.com

Agreed. I love LMR but a lot of their parts are no different than what you'd get at local parts store. Doesn't make sense to buy a gas tank from LMR when you can order one at Autozone and pick it up and then return it same day if there's a problem.

Also, a lot of parts are still available from Ford. You just need a part number which can sometimes be hard to track down. Granted, a LOT is obsolete, but some items you'd never think of can still be had. I buy a lot from Tascaparts as they are down the street from me, but i've bought from Fordpartsgiant as well.

For example of what you can still buy new from Ford.

Cowl Grill

Heater Tube

OEM door striker

Reactions: 1 user
While OEM is preferred for sure, I have been impressed with anything I’ve received with the Daniel Carpenter name on it.
Drivetrain, I’m sticking with the name brands I know will last, but for the cosmetic stuff, Daniel Carpenter has been the go to.

Agreed. I love LMR but a lot of their parts are no different than what you'd get at local parts store. Doesn't make sense to buy a gas tank from LMR when you can order one at Autozone and pick it up and then return it same day if there's a problem.

This is the biggest thing i've found, simple things like e- brake E-clips are 5.99 at LMR when you can just grab them from Lowes for .30, although it's convenient to just add everything to cart and just grab everything at once, sometimes it's worth shopping local. Don't get me wrong I've purchased thousands of dollars of stuff from LMR then realize it's just a re-branded or Dorman parts which could have been sourced elsewhere.

I've had good luck with DC stuff and Scott Drake for the 66'

Same, but it still baffles me the amount of folks that don't realize that LMR doesn't actually make the parts they sell.

Can't tell you the number of posts i see on FB where someone will ask about a parts store 94-95 130A alternator, or some parts store engine mounts, and someone will chime in and say "dont buy that, buy these from LMR" and post a link to what is literally just repackaged parts store stuff.

But i do love LMR for their customer service and have spent thousands there, but like you, i just can't see myself spending $8 plus shipping for some clips that are just dorman brand and I can get on amazon the next day for $1.

While OEM is preferred for sure, I have been impressed with anything I’ve received with the Daniel Carpenter name on it.
Drivetrain, I’m sticking with the name brands I know will last, but for the cosmetic stuff, Daniel Carpenter has been the go to.

Some of the DCMR stuff is fine, but some that I've gotten is definitely not oem quality. But sometimes that is all that's available.

and people used to laugh at me when i would pull every starter solenoid, IAC, distributor, seals, weatherstrip, window and door motors, etc. from every foxbody or a contour/ taurus fan, or an extra 130 amp alternator in the junkyard even if i didnt need it at that time. I'd rather install a used OEM part these days than a new chineesium aftermarket one.... all my cars have used JY 130 amp alternators and E fans that have been working fine for years.

most everything you get on LMR or AM is rebranded Chineesium parts with a markup. If you are looking for OEM, try Rock Auto first or FordPartsGiant.com
Every thing is getting to be rebranded chineesium these days. Most of the trim, plastic/ soft parts are Dc, drake or fairchild if its 5.0resto branded or not... Found a unopened soft seal passenger side T top to body seal in one of the parts lots I picked up at action, still has lmrs sticker on it from 2003 lol. Looks like its a special order only part these days for $80 from soft seal. Think lmr uses Daniel carpenter kits for those now, drake seems to be dropping some product if you look at prices on some stuff in holleys clearance sale. Pretty sure dc only does injection molded stuff here and farms out the rest for the licensed parts like the quarter glass.

Also got a nos 87-90 lx fender spat In one of those parts lots along with a whole lot of trash, 1st and last time I bid on an online estate auction with horrible pictures and descriptions lol.. Looks like npd repops those spats for $250 now.. Seems Dc did a few for the 87-90 but only see blems floating around, there quality has gotten worse it seems since the last time I bought stuff. I usually just pick up all the interior trim stuff like bezels, console lids etc when there cheap. They are all most all ways broken.

For weather stripping like doors and hatch/ trunks that isnt molded, its probably better to just buy bulk rolls these days.

Attachments

• 343754863_6300740539978179_2470836743157634318_n.jpg
    343754863_6300740539978179_2470836743157634318_n.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 29
Used a lot of repo parts over the years but not all of it, from weather Stripping to trim parts there a lot of overlapping manufacturers and stuff that's rebranded by the big mustang shops. I suck at searching stuff since the last board update so there might be a thread I can't find.

One I haven't tried yet are the arms rest pads. I know scott drake has them, Daniel carpenter and dashes direct but never can find info which one are decent, just complaints about house brands who like to switch up suppliers

Same for the trim parts, lights, switches and seals along with other repo parts for the fox body. Figure a thread keeping track might be helpful. just a few brands that I can think of that offer reproduction style parts for these cars, the sheet metal stuff is all most all the same rebranded made in Taiwan parts from what i've used over the years, save for a few low quality patch panels that come from somewhere in canada like those rocker covers most shops offer, slip over covers that are no where close to oem stampings.

ACP
Acme
Daniel carpenter
Dorman
Depo
Dashes direct
Fairchild
R.E.M
Scott drake
Shee-Mar
Soft seal
TYC
TMI
Osbourne reproductions
KSR. Think they folded up years ago now
A lot of others that got bought up. Like how mustang unlimited and corvette America became top flight automotive, they used to have some brands you don't hear about any more.
Say what you will about part source of LMR . But find anyone that cares to walk you thru the application or trouble shooting like Johnathan at LMR does. He is awesome

• Agree
Say what you will about part source of LMR . But find anyone that cares to walk you thru the application or trouble shooting like Johnathan at LMR does. He is awesome
I've been buying parts for fox bodies for 25 plus years I can name a few guys from almost every one I've dealt with, lots of shops came and went in that time. Most have a decent tech guy unless there just a drop shipper. Majority of the restoration stuff is either it fits or doesn't and you need to make it fit.