Is there an improved LH outside mirror for a '66 coupe restomod?

MARKDTN

Apr 5, 2019
Chattanooga, TN
I have searched and searched but not seen an answer. I understand the history of mirrors on 64-66 with dealers using what was available, but I just want to know what is the best outside mirror for visibility? The stock one you can barely see anything out of. I have seen to retrofit a '67-68 that is a little bigger and sticks out a little further. I have heard '65 Galaxie mirror. Is there anything else out there that looks reasonable but gives better visibility on the Drivers side? I don't want anything crazy, just a decent mirror so I can see what is behind me. Any pics of cars with non-stock mirrors that you feel helped visibility? (again, understanding "stock" is a loose term for these)

• Sponsors(?)

wicked93gs

10 Year Member
Sep 30, 2006
Nashville TN
Just FYI...most any mirror from the era can be bolted(though some have different bolt patterns which require drilling a new hole). You think the stock mustang mirrors are bad? How about JDM RA29 Celicas? :

0.jpg

Although the American market Celicas were a bit more reasonable(I had one of these at one point):

YPYWGZB0oFRQrjMDgULsP-BB17g9mfJ1zlEhuIVmObbE_0MnWc.jpg

As for mirrors I would use? I would go to the 67-68 rectangular style(which always made more sense in my mind for the early mustang body lines anyway)

MARKDTN

Apr 5, 2019
Chattanooga, TN
Yes, mirrors in Japan are quite different than what we see here. I will likely go with the '67-8 style. But is there anything else out there?

wicked93gs

10 Year Member
Sep 30, 2006
Nashville TN
Well, there are always camaro mirrors:

SDK-684502-C_xl.jpg

The '68 Camaro mirror is a bit sleeker than the Fairlane 500, while still being large enough for good visibility...no clue how difficult fitment would be though....however, since you can re-drill the bracket to match the car, its one you might be able to afford experimenting with.