Is this a good buy?

HansonTuning

May 18, 2005
My dad is looking at a 1991 Mustang for me. It has 116,000 miles, has the 2.3L 88hp Pinto I-4, 4-speed AOD, and is a silver notchback with a gray interior. We can acquire it for $1500.

The weatherstrip/rubber molding/whatever around the doors is kindof disintegrating. Is there any way we can get a complete kit for both sides for under $100?

The body is in good shape, except for a small dent in the bumper that should be able to be popped back out, and the front bumper has been noticeably repainted.

The interior is missing center console doors(ashtray, etc.). Otherwise it is in good condition for the age and mileage.

Is this a good deal for the money? After looking a bit, it seems like it, but I'd like a second opinion before I decide. Thanks!!!!

Robbie Hanson

• Sponsors (?)

First, the 1991 2.3's have 105 HP, which should make you a little happier, for now. The AOD is not the best transmission, the T-5 5-speed is worlds stronger. Notchback are awesome!!! I would offer him $1000, if he doesn't budge, it wouldn't be a horrible deal at $1500, but I would try to pay less for it.
Here is a weatherstripping kit (for both doors) for under $40. 5.0resto.com The ashtray and console can also be found on that website.

Welcome to the forums!

If it is running, driveable and in decent shape, it is not a bad price. I paid $500 for a barely running 89 notch, with a failed overdrive, no muffler, no engine fan, and a host of other little things. I now have all of that working, and have about $1000 in it. It does have a lot more body damage than I want, but it is a perfectly usable car.

If it is an automatic, it has an A4LD overdrive trans. Probably a better trans than it has a reputation for here. It is the same trans used in Explorers, Rangers, etc, and can be rebuilt and strengthened a good bit. I did have to change mine. I got one left over from a 5.0 conversion for $100. Seems to work.

The door weatherstrips are about $20 each, I just got pair from Laurel Mountain Mustang. Lots of suppliers sell them.

I just got a matching armrest for my console, $10 at the salvage yard.

It runs like a Swiss watch. The "accident" happened to be someone backing into it, resulting in a 5x5 or so piece of bumper being pushed 1 inch in. It has working A/C, and obviously, as I'm looking at this instead of a 5.0, I'm not really that interested in power or performance. If anything, I'd probably want to increase handling before power, as I'm not that into drag-racing...... Not that challenging compared to road racing. The guy happens to work for the local Ford dealership, so it WILL have all the emissions/safety inspections done.

Talk the price down abit. Power is something you think need until you drive the car for a day or so ;) Even in road racing, handling well is priority but that goes with a well balanced car, Performance and handling coupled.

If i were buying a car just for handling a solid rear axle overweight underpower 2.3n/a wouldnt be it. ;)

mr_woodster said:
Talk the price down abit. Power is something you think need until you drive the car for a day or so ;) Even in road racing, handling well is priority but that goes with a well balanced car, Performance and handling coupled.

If i were buying a car just for handling a solid rear axle overweight underpower 2.3n/a wouldnt be it. ;)

Forget that thing. The wheels seem to be.... melting. There's lots of dings on the roof and such. Back to looking....

I have a 89 maroon mustang hatch with just over 70k miles with white pony wheels. Its the 5 speed and I just replaced the clutch and tob in the last 2,000 miles. I was asking 1800 firm because of what I have in the wheels.

Located in Mi.

If you want pics email me at [email protected]

Thanks
Derek