Is Versaille rear a bad idea?

Randy'65

Founding Member
Feb 1, 2000
Richmond, VA
Considering purchasing a 9" versaille rear with factory discs and a 3.40 trac loc center section, that had previously been installed in a '66 Mustang. Some of the threads I've looked at seem to indicate that parts are hard to find and there may be better choices out there. Price seems right on this unit, less than the price of a disc brake conversion. Should I talk myself out of it? How much do you think this should be worth? It has 10-20K miles on it since rebuild.

• Sponsors (?)

If you were dealing with one that had an open diff and highway gears I would say stay away or at least caution you about the cost to change to a better gear ratio and some type of locking differential. That being said the brakes were the biggest issue and after rebuilding mine and powdercoating I could not ever get them to work well and finding parts was not easy. I spent a lot of money on Baer brakes but there are less expensive options. It is a faction wider but everything bolts right up and you will have a rear end that will be very durable.

the first question you need to ask yourself is, do you really need a 9" rear end? if you are not making 400+hp and running slicks, then you dont need a 9". the versaille rear end isnt a bad one, yes some parts are hard to find, and the rear disc brake system is way out dated, but if you need a 9", then it isnt a terrible choice.

the biggest issues of the versaille rear end are;

1: the caliper mounting brackets are cast, and can be delicate. and if you break one when pressing off the axle bearings, you are going to play hell trying to find a replacement.

2: the bolts that hold the caliper bracket in place are no longer available.

3: the calipers are difficult to properly adjust, and you MUST use the parking brake to keep the caliper in adjustment.

the first question you need to ask yourself is, do you really need a 9" rear end? if you are not making 400+hp and running slicks, then you dont need a 9". the versaille rear end isnt a bad one, yes some parts are hard to find, and the rear disc brake system is way out dated, but if you need a 9", then it isnt a terrible choice.

the biggest issues of the versaille rear end are;

1: the caliper mounting brackets are cast, and can be delicate. and if you break one when pressing off the axle bearings, you are going to play hell trying to find a replacement.

2: the bolts that hold the caliper bracket in place are no longer available.

3: the calipers are difficult to properly adjust, and you MUST use the parking brake to keep the caliper in adjustment.

Hi! i got one in my 66 and would buy an other one if the price was right. The bearing and retainer can be cut off to on remove then to prevent breaking the caliper braket. mustang plus has bearing, seal, caliper, pads and rotors.

caliper braket bolt can be replaced with a grade 8 bolts.

adjusting the caliper is not so bad, just have to screw in or out the piston for the initial adjusment, not any worst then drum brakes. then the emergency brake does it for you has the pads wear.

Really, it's a matter of opportunity, not necessarily need. One popped up in the local trader that a guy had in his '66 that he removed to return the car to stock for his Nephew, so theoretically it should be a bolt in to my '65. My 8" rear has sat for a number of years, who knows what condition the internals are in, it's an open diff, has a leaky pinion seal, and has drums. The cost of this rebuilt trac loc 9" with discs is less than the cost of an aftermarket disc brake package. How much would it cost me to go through my 8", get a trac loc center section, and a disc brake package?

On the other hand a buddy of mine restores old Bronco's and he has a couple 9" housings laying around with open pumpkins that he would give me, which would give me something to start building off of but I'd be out money off the bat getting the tubes lengthened, spring mounts set right, etc.

I agree with whats already been said.

I have a Versailles rear end in mine and the only real issue is the availabilty of parts for the brakes. Rock Auto and Mustangs Plus have most of it, but the short hoses are hard to find. They are said to be on back order at some places and others say no longer available or discontinued. I had the originals remade at a local place called Hydraulic House. You can now get replacement braided stainless hoses on Ebay.