It's Grilling Time! The Official Stangnet Grill/Smoke Thread

My best Prime Rib so far. Same hunk of meat as the last one I made. This time, just olive oil, pickling salt, and crushed black pepper.

I used two probes this time as I did with the chicken last week. That is the way to go IMO. Nothing has been over or undercooked since I started using two in larger pieces of meat.

I nearly forgot to make myself a plate. I'm eating it as I carve it, get the plates made for Momma and the kid then just keep eating from the cutting board. :p It is soooooooo good.

Two ribs like pictured are perfect for 4 people (in case anybody was wondering).

1624229902939.png

1624229742626.png


Also, I did the string thing time to help keep it more gathered towards the center of the roast as it cooked. This seemed to make a difference too. Prime Rib likes to 'loosen up' a bit when it's rotating on a spit.

I think it was Cowboy Kent Rollins that I got that tip from but I can't be sure.

The dogs got the rib bones. They truly believe that I am the greatest Oooomon that ever lived on the face of this planet. :)
 
Got an idea off a YouTube video. Injecting a cheap brisket with wagyu tallow will supposedly make it a fantastic hunk of meat.

So, good forecast this weekend, here I go. The brisket is from Walmart and only cost $65, cheapest one I bought in awhile. The Wagyu tallow was from Amazon. $30ish.
53F4682E-80DF-48A8-81BE-3084401955CF.webp
The brisket weighs about 15lbs pretrimmed. So maybe 11 or so after trimming.

I’ll let you know how it turns out.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jinx
Something I just came across online and made me go "Huh?"

Have any of you grilled any meat, particularly red meat, slathered in mayonnaise?

Seems more than a few people out there have done this and the reasoning behind it seems to makes sense but I haven't tried yet.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Davedacarpainter
Something I just came across online and made me go "Huh?"

Have any of you grilled any meat, particularly red meat, slathered in mayonnaise?

Seems more than a few people out there have done this and the reasoning behind it seems to makes sense but I haven't tried yet.
I have seen that, it does seem to make sense though. Haven’t done it yet, but, ironically….

I trimmed the brisket, almost five pounds of fat, scalded meat and badly butchered meat from the processor had to come off. Kind of made for an ugly brisket. I guess it was cheaper for a reason.
A7F848F4-3BDB-4BAD-B08D-B1DFA12D87BA.webp
So I injected about 27 ounces of wagyu tallow into it, it looked like and was just like handling mayonnaise. Messy job. If this doesn’t really taste great, I ain’t doing that again.
8AE2171E-9A26-4819-BEAF-847B50E62428.webp
Seasoned with salt and pepper.
409640AE-31D2-4101-8BBC-BBCD3A1BDAF0.webp
It‘s been smoking for about five and a half hours, it’s at about 150 right now. I’ll be wrapping it within the next hour or so. I’m going to wipe the butcher paper with more of the tallow when I do that. (I heard Aaron Franklin does that with his briskets).

Then nap time.
 
I have seen that, it does seem to make sense though. Haven’t done it yet, but, ironically….

I trimmed the brisket, almost five pounds of fat, scalded meat and badly butchered meat from the processor had to come off. Kind of made for an ugly brisket. I guess it was cheaper for a reason.
A7F848F4-3BDB-4BAD-B08D-B1DFA12D87BA.jpeg
So I injected about 27 ounces of wagyu tallow into it, it looked like and was just like handling mayonnaise. Messy job. If this doesn’t really taste great, I ain’t doing that again.
8AE2171E-9A26-4819-BEAF-847B50E62428.jpeg
Seasoned with salt and pepper.
409640AE-31D2-4101-8BBC-BBCD3A1BDAF0.jpeg
It‘s been smoking for about five and a half hours, it’s at about 150 right now. I’ll be wrapping it within the next hour or so. I’m going to wipe the butcher paper with more of the tallow when I do that. (I heard Aaron Franklin does that with his briskets).

Then nap time.
So, you trimmed off fat and then injected beef fat into the meat, right? This should be interesting.