iv got fuel, got spark, no start. why?

93PONY

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2002
pensylvania
like the title says, my 93 2.3 wont start. i have fuel and i have spark. the crank sensor is fairly new, less than a year old. it just cranks over and wont do anything, right before this happened it ran really rough and had really black exhaust, so i turned it off. since then no go. im stumped what can it be?

• Sponsors (?)

did you see if the timing belt was intact? if so, move on to the crank sensor. just because its new doesnt mean anything. if there's slop in the crank, it could go through crank sensors like skittles.i believe if you check the orange/red wire with a test light while cranking on it, it should flash every revolution. try those things and post your findings. if you dont have it figured out by then, ill help you further until she fires. well get her goin' again. ;)

i dont mean to threadjack but i am in kind of the same situation... car ran but was kinda rough and it would die while i was driving. replaced the fuel pressure reg on the advice of a mechanic friend and now it wont start. i get fuel, i wasnt getting spark out of one coil in cylinder 3 so i replaced that coil and now nothing... still cranks but no start. any ideas??

still nothing!

ok so heres what iv got.
replaced the tps, iac, mass air meter, coil packs, spark plugs (twice), fuel pressure regulator, and fuel filter. and still nothing. this is really starting to p!$$ me off! it cranks over and if i hold the gas pedal it sputters like its going to start but as soon as i let off the key or pedal it stops. please someone throw me some ideas here.

getting there

ok so heres what i got.
when i unplug the mass air, it starts up, but runs kinda rough. i plugged mass air back in while running, improved a little but still rough. so i let it sit and idle for about 1/2 an hour. went back out and pushed the gas a little, and it just died. would not start again unless i unpluged mass air. so whats going on here? mass air is new. tried to swap with old one with same results so that is out. please someone chime in with somthing.