I've narrowed my exhaust choices down to two. Opinions?

07 GT/CS

Feb 9, 2007
NorCal
I've got a new 07 GT/CS. I want to go with a different exhaust and I've listened to all of them on the different sites. I have narrowed it down to two choices. One is the Ford M-5230-GTA from Ford or Nino with an X pipe from Ford then installed. Second would be leaving the H pipe, or maybe going with another bigger H pipe later, and then the Flowmaster American Thunder axle backs. I've always been partial to Flowmasters, but it looks like you really should stay away from an X pipe with them. These are the two choices I've got it down to and I'm not interested in any other combinations. Opinions on the two? Oh, and somewhere down the line I will probalby do the intake, and maybe the shorty headers too.

• Sponsors (?)

When I bought my car it had the Flowmaster American Thunder's on it, and they sound really good, nice deep rumble and aggressive tone. I am very happy with them. the car is otherwise stock, and on the highway at 70mph the exhaust is still quiet enough to enjoy a long trip.

In short, VERY PLEASED WITH THE FLOWS

I've got a new 07 GT/CS. I want to go with a different exhaust and I've listened to all of them on the different sites. I have narrowed it down to two choices. One is the Ford M-5230-GTA from Ford or Nino with an X pipe from Ford then installed. Second would be leaving the H pipe, or maybe going with another bigger H pipe later, and then the Flowmaster American Thunder axle backs. I've always been partial to Flowmasters, but it looks like you really should stay away from an X pipe with them. These are the two choices I've got it down to and I'm not interested in any other combinations. Opinions on the two? Oh, and somewhere down the line I will probalby do the intake, and maybe the shorty headers too.

Here's the reason why you should stay away from an O/R X-pipe ? any chambered designed muffler with baffles such as Flowmasters, Mac Flow Paths, Dynomax and especially the Ford M-5230-GTA paired with off road X-pipes will provide a raspy, higher pitched tinny sound instead of lower throatier tones these axle backs were designed for which is why it's best recommended that you pair them with either an off road H- pipe or Mac off road prochamber...As a matter of fact ? I plan on purchasing the Ford M-5230-GTA and Mac off road Pro chamber as my set up...On the other hand, an off road X-pipe is best suited for non-chambered axle backs such as the Ford/Borla M-5230-5GT Stingers, Magnaflows, Corsa's and Pypes violaters...anyway, hope this helps in your combination choices and wish you the very best of luck...:nice:

One of the reasons I was considering the X pipe with the Ford is that the Shelby GT uses this setup, at least according to the Ford Racing catalog. It lists the Shelby GT as having the following:

FORD RACING PERFORMANCE PARTS
Power Upgrade Package M-2006-FR1
Handling Pack M-2005-FR3
Short-Throw Shifter M-7210-T1 (Manual Trans.)
Ring and Pinion Gear Set (see website)
Performance X-pipe M-5251-R

The Power Upgrade Package has the intake and the M-5230-GTA Ford mufflers. Why would they do the X pipe and those mufflers if the sound would be raspy? Or, are you saying if I dumped the cats, and then went with the X pipe, it would be raspy? I had planned on leaving the cats on. The other options was to do the Flowmasters and I was looking at the MRT 304SS with the high flow cats. Is the MAC short pro chamber better than the MRT and are the "high flow cats" on the MRT really that much better than a stock cat?

One of the reasons I was considering the X pipe with the Ford is that the Shelby GT uses this setup, at least according to the Ford Racing catalog. It lists the Shelby GT as having the following:

FORD RACING PERFORMANCE PARTS
Power Upgrade Package M-2006-FR1
Handling Pack M-2005-FR3
Short-Throw Shifter M-7210-T1 (Manual Trans.)
Ring and Pinion Gear Set (see website)
Performance X-pipe M-5251-R

The Power Upgrade Package has the intake and the M-5230-GTA Ford mufflers. Why would they do the X pipe and those mufflers if the sound would be raspy? Or, are you saying if I dumped the cats, and then went with the X pipe, it would be raspy? I had planned on leaving the cats on. The other options was to do the Flowmasters and I was looking at the MRT 304SS with the high flow cats. Is the MAC short pro chamber better than the MRT and are the "high flow cats" on the MRT really that much better than a stock cat?

Yes, I'm saying if only you dump the cats and use an OFF ROAD X-pipe the sound will be raspy..On the other hand, if you plan on leaving the factory cats on ? you should be fine..However unless you plan on using high- flow cats with long tube headers ? there's really very little to be gained over stock as the factory cats are pretty efficient flowing as is..So in my honest opinion, high-flow cats aren't really much better than the stock set up...As for the other option ? you could either pair Flowmasters with the Mac short prochamber with stock cats or get rid of the cats all together and pair the Flowmasters with the Pypes off road H-pipe like Bigcat has..But if you want my advice ? don't waste your hard earned money on high-flow cats, their just not worth it when it comes to stock applications...As for myself personally ? I'm going with the Mac off road Prochamber with either the M-5230- GTA or the Magnaflow axle backs...I also have the Ford Power Upgrade Package M-2005-FR1 only in the Steeda version which is exactly the same being that Steeda designs the power upgrade package for Ford to begin with, except I use the SCT X-CAL II programmer instead of the Ford pro cal tool..:nice:

Thanks for the info. One of my preferences is to use as many Ford parts as possible. I know lots of folks on this site prefer to go with other aftermarket parts but I don't want the headaches with the dealer. I'm not a stoplight to stoplight racer and my car serves as a daily commuter. When I feel the need for speed, it is usually top end freeway fun or opening it up on a twisty road. One of the things I was just looking at was the Steeda inlet elbow with the Ford intake. I would probably be content to have the mild tuneing that Ford provides but that would allow me to take my car in for regular maintenance without having to worry about the dealer sniveling. I take it the MAC is basically an enhanced H pipe? Would the MAC be a good combo with the Flows or would the Pypes H pipe be a better choice then? I will keep the stock cats on.

Thanks for the info. One of my preferences is to use as many Ford parts as possible. I know lots of folks on this site prefer to go with other aftermarket parts but I don't want the headaches with the dealer. I'm not a stoplight to stoplight racer and my car serves as a daily commuter. When I feel the need for speed, it is usually top end freeway fun or opening it up on a twisty road. One of the things I was just looking at was the Steeda inlet elbow with the Ford intake. I would probably be content to have the mild tuneing that Ford provides but that would allow me to take my car in for regular maintenance without having to worry about the dealer sniveling. I take it the MAC is basically an enhanced H pipe? Would the MAC be a good combo with the Flows or would the Pypes H pipe be a better choice then? I will keep the stock cats on.

The MAC is both an enhanced and OFF ROAD H-pipe which is available for long tube headers, your stock H-pipe (which does require cutting your stock pipe) and finally the complete off road that replaces the entire mid pipe...As for being a good combo with the Flows ? most definitely and if you want to save money, the Pypes off road H-pipe would also be a great combo with Flows as well...

When I bought my car it had the Flowmaster American Thunder's on it, and they sound really good, nice deep rumble and aggressive tone. I am very happy with them. the car is otherwise stock, and on the highway at 70mph the exhaust is still quiet enough to enjoy a long trip.

In short, VERY PLEASED WITH THE FLOWS

Exactly my feelings too.

I'm confused though why the MAC would be an "off road" prochamber. It looks like there is a box where the H crossover pipe would go on a stock system. Since I would be keeping the cats, why would the MAC be considered off road?