Jack Points For Rear Differential Removal?

Barchiola

Dec 26, 2014
Hi Folks,

We're getting started with some rear suspension work this weekend and I was just wondering where to jack the back of the body up so we'll be able to roll the rear end out once it's all disconected. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The car is a '68 convertible.

Thanks!
Bart

• Sponsors (?)

thanks horse sence! i know exactly where you mean, in fact i'd like to get opinions on the welding that was done there years ago when my Dad had the torque boxes replaced. i'll post pics when everything has been pulled out.

Jim,

I looked under the car this afternoon and we're getting started tomorrow. Are you talking about the flat spot of the "frame" alongside of the front mounting points for the rear leaf springs? I was originally thinking you meant aft of the rear axle.

IMG_20160227_131018418.jpg

That's where I'd jack the back of the car up in this instance. It's pretty obvious that it's a structural support area as the spring mounts in there. I'd place the jack directly under where the torque box and frame rail meet as it should be the strongest point for supporting the weight of the car and I believe exactly where horse sence is referring to....

With jack stands under the rear torque boxes you can take the wheels off and roll the rear end and springs out or the rear of the car all in one unit .
that's the plan unless we end up not having enough room behind the car in the garage. going to bed soon and hitting it first thing tomorrow. brakes, differential seals, etc, hopefully i can get it all back together in a week or two and then get right to the front end.