Brakes JB weld to fix brake fluid leak?

opihinalu

Feb 10, 2021
Florida
I know I know this is probably a terrible idea, but I recently installed a wilwood proportioning valve because my stock one was leaking. When I installed this, on the inlet side the brake line was slightly bent and caused me to strip the female threads on the proportioning valve. I went on my first drive around my block and came back and there was a little bit of fluid that had leaked out of that spot. Because I am lazy, I don’t want to go through the hassle of buying a new one, bleeding the brakes, etc. and though it is probably just better to do it right, would it be viable to put some JB weld around the rim of that and close off any kind of leaks? It is a very small leak and I would check it regularly to make sure the JB weld is holding up. What do you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

First and foremost, do it right.

Secondly, I don’t see this type of repair working. I don’t see the JB weld effectively seeping into the void and creating a leak-tite seal. I see it covering the damaged area allowing it to one day fail.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
It sucks, I’ve been in situations like this before. Just gotta suck it up, roll up your sleeves and get to work. It will feel great when you’ve completed the job. You’ll have the satisfaction that you tackled the dreaded task and now your car is improved, working properly, and safe.

As a kid we never spent much time on our brakes.... I was in a 57 chevy that had just finished a 4 gear blast that lost its brakes....... VERY SCARY.... The driver somehow got it into first gear and got it slowed down as we were coming up fast to an intersection.... We lucked out
NEVER skimp on your brakes, if not for you, than the other person you really don't want to kill..........

I know I know this is probably a terrible idea, but I recently installed a wilwood proportioning valve because my stock one was leaking. When I installed this, on the inlet side the brake line was slightly bent and caused me to strip the female threads on the proportioning valve. I went on my first drive around my block and came back and there was a little bit of fluid that had leaked out of that spot. Because I am lazy, I don’t want to go through the hassle of buying a new one, bleeding the brakes, etc. and though it is probably just better to do it right, would it be viable to put some JB weld around the rim of that and close off any kind of leaks? It is a very small leak and I would check it regularly to make sure the JB weld is holding up. What do you guys think?
I have had great success with JB weld in not life dependent uses, and I have had it frustratingly fail. ALL brake fluid, oils grease etc has to be removed and the surface dry. The surface needs roughed up for best adhesion.
For this to work, the valve and fitting would have to be covered like a ball of JB Weld. If safety is not enough reason, the ugly look should be. The possibility of high pressure is different than an oil leak in a valve cover, timing cover or even the coolant neck. And it’s a very different deal than repairing a heater door flap control.

Reactions: 1 user