Jet Performance Chip

Redfire 05

Apr 6, 2005
Lubbock, TX
Who has one for an 05 GT? How long have you had it? Do you like it? Does it fix the lack of throttle response with the factory tune?

I remember seeing a thread from one person who had just installed it, but that was before the board crashed.

• Sponsors (?)

yeah one of the guys here (dean) i think installed it and seemed to like it alot.Mine should arrive tomorrow and then I may Dyno the car to see what effects it has,if any..i sure hope it proves positive like Dean indicated..

subzero05 said:
yeah one of the guys here (dean) i think installed it and seemed to like it alot.Mine should arrive tomorrow and then I may Dyno the car to see what effects it has,if any..i sure hope it proves positive like Dean indicated..

That's cool. You should definately post the results. I recieved an email from Jet that says you should see 20-22 hp. Sounds like a lot (I personaly don't see how). At least it's definately not a flash device, so you can remove it with not hint of its existance. Should be no warranty problems. Here is the email:

The module is an inline tuning device, it attaches externally to the
ECU and
modifies the signals before they reach the motor. We are changing
air/fuel
ratios which will provide improved horsepower and throttle response
from 25%
throttle and up. The module will not change rev or speed limiters.
Average
gains on the new Mustang are 20-22 horsepower to the wheels. If you
have any
questions please let us know.

Thanks!

JET Performance Products
800-535-1161
www.jetchip.com
[email protected]
Engineered For Power!

Yes that was me who posted the original thread before the computer crash. The Jet module was a simple 5 minutes or less instalation. Disconnect the battery cable, unlock and disconnect the lower cables leading into the ECU which is located up front on the passengers side, plug in the Jet module making sure it snaps all the way in, plug the original cables into the Jet unit making sure they lock in, reconnect the battery cable, and away you go.

While I would question the claim of an additional 20 plus horsepower, I will say that the car does run much better, the throtle response is as it should have been from the factory, quick and responsive and lets off faster when getting off the throttle. Overall the car just runs better.

Does it feel like there's additional horsepower? I would prefer to say that the car just more responsive to subtle inputs and that I find myself pressing the throttle down less while gaining better response. The pony just feels like it wants to run and have fun all day !! ;)

Was it worth the money? Without question. Note that you should run 91 octane gas to yield the best response. I had filled(slowly and painfully as my new tank is not in yet) the tank the day before I recieved the Jet unit with Chevron 91 Octane gas, anticipating the instalation the next day.

For those not wanting or needing the flexibility of tuning in factors like tire size, new rear end gear ratios or upping the rev limiter, the Jet unit provides a simple and cost effective way to get the most out of your new pony.

Dean Gamburd said:
Yes that was me who posted the original thread before the computer crash. The Jet module was a simple 5 minutes or less instalation. Disconnect the battery cable, unlock and disconnect the lower cables leading into the ECU which is located up front on the passengers side, plug in the Jet module making sure it snaps all the way in, plug the original cables into the Jet unit making sure they lock in, reconnect the battery cable, and away you go.

While I would question the claim of an additional 20 plus horsepower, I will say that the car does run much better, the throtle response is as it should have been from the factory, quick and responsive and lets off faster when getting off the throttle. Overall the car just runs better.

Does it feel like there's additional horsepower? I would prefer to say that the car just more responsive to subtle inputs and that I find myself pressing the throttle down less while gaining better response. The pony just feels like it wants to run and have fun all day !! ;)

Was it worth the money? Without question. Note that you should run 91 octane gas to yield the best response. I had filled(slowly and painfully as my new tank is not in yet) the tank the day before I recieved the Jet unit with Chevron 91 Octane gas, anticipating the instalation the next day.

For those not wanting or needing the flexibility of tuning in factors like tire size, new rear end gear ratios or upping the rev limiter, the Jet unit provides a simple and cost effective way to get the most out of your new pony.

Thanks Dean. I just wanted to make sure everything was still going good a few weeks after instalation. Sounds like it is. I'll probably be purchasing one soon.

Topless, so far the car has been in the shop without the need to remove the Jet Module, ie Shaker replacement, gas tank replacement, window molding replacement, and the likes. So I left the Jet Module in without any problems.

If I were having a motor specific problem, like a missfire or a engine light, I would probably remove the chip to see if that cleared the problem and if it didn't then I would leave the Jet module out and take it in. With the install and removal being such a easy thing, I wouldn't be concerned.

98StangRidah said:
I suggest you people a custom tune for that money.
The dealer I ordered my stang from does aftermkt tuning to a variety of ford/lm cars. They told me they would do performance mods on my new stang including a re-flash of the chip w/o any warranty concerns-does this sound legit coming from a ford dealer?

It does...There are alof of ford dealers that get involved in performance mods even though FORD motor Co frowns on it.it becomes a BIG profit center for those dealers who will get involved in the aftermarket and they are willing to accept the risks for the $$$

Dean Gamburd said:

How does it affect your gas milage?

topless beach said:
The dealer I ordered my stang from does aftermkt tuning to a variety of ford/lm cars. They told me they would do performance mods on my new stang including a re-flash of the chip w/o any warranty concerns-does this sound legit coming from a ford dealer?
If you can get it in wirting, you shouldn't have a problem.

Alamo said:
How does it affect your gas milage?

Very unscientific as it has been hot enough to run the air conditioner most days out here and I have been doing a lot of freeway runs too. That said the last check I am getting a couple of miles per gallon more then without the chip. My numbers before the chip were a low of 10 miles per gallon to an average of 12 miles per gallon. With the chip I am getting 14 around town and about 17 on the highway, all this throttle dependent of course ;) .

98StangRidah said:
I suggest you people a custom tune for that money.

There are two problems with the tuning devices. One they cost $375+ so they are almost twice as much as the Jet Chip. Two they reflash the computer. If the dealer hooks up to the computer they can find out you reflashed the car and void your warranty if they want (I know all about the law saying the mod must cause the problem, let's not get into it, but the dealer can do what they want leaving you without a warranty or spending money to fight them). The Jet Chip is not a reflash device. So I like it better.

Dean Gamburd said:
Very unscientific as it has been hot enough to run the air conditioner most days out here and I have been doing a lot of freeway runs too. That said the last check I am getting a couple of miles per gallon more then without the chip. My numbers before the chip were a low of 10 miles per gallon to an average of 12 miles per gallon. With the chip I am getting 14 around town and about 17 on the highway, all this throttle dependent of course ;) .

How many miles have you got on your car? I have a little over 2000 and my milage is at about 16 in town and 24 on the highway. It started at about 10-12 city and 20 hwy brand new.

Redfire 05 said:
There are two problems with the tuning devices. One they cost $375+ so they are almost twice as much as the Jet Chip. Two they reflash the computer. If the dealer hooks up to the computer they can find out you reflashed the car and void your warranty if they want (I know all about the law saying the mod must cause the problem, let's not get into it, but the dealer can do what they want leaving you without a warranty or spending money to fight them). The Jet Chip is not a reflash device. So I like it better.
I meant custom tune, not tuning device. But none the less, even then your points will remain. However, I don't know these computers, but let's say your engine blows while you have your jet chip in it. You take the chip out, and bring it to the dealer. Doesn't the computer show what was going on, and could that show that a different tune was running? :shrug:
Either way, I would not buy that Jet chip as I believe it's not worth $200. If warranty is a concern, I would save my two hundred dollars, and invest it in a tune when the warranty runs out.

Dean Gamburd said:
Wow, "16 in town and 24 on the highway"!! That's great. Nothing close to your highway milage here. I just turned 2000 miles this week. I have to fill up again tomorrow. I'll chart my milage after the fill up and report back next week.
Wow, you did 2000 on one tank? :eek: