job hunt

chaos254

Founding Member
Jul 27, 2002
NJ
Just wondering how you guys went about finding jobs, etc? I graduated in decemeber and really wasn't expecting to so I'm kind of behind on the whole searching for jobs. I've been using careerbuilding, monster, and hotjobs to do some searching and sending out resumes. Also searching the local newspapers... Also how long do you guys commute? I know i'm going to have to commute but I think it'll suck if I have to go an hour or more! Any help or pointers would be great. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

What field of work are you looking into? I usually spend countless hours studying companies in that field and go to their web site (if available). Most companies have a careers section where they post jobs, and if none are posted, sometimes they give you an email address where you can send a resume anyways. I usually try to shoot out as many resumes as I can, accompanied with a cover letter tailored to each individual company, which is a $h!t load of work. But even if you don't expect to hear back from them, you have nothing to lose by sending your resume to them anyhow.

As for location, don't limit yourself to where you are currently, unless its really disadvantageous for you to move elsewhere. I'm graduating in december and will be applying for jobs starting this summer, and I'm willing to move almost anywhere in North America if I have to. Lots of good companies pay for your moving expenses anyway.

What field of work are you looking into? I usually spend countless hours studying companies in that field and go to their web site (if available). Most companies have a careers section where they post jobs, and if none are posted, sometimes they give you an email address where you can send a resume anyways. I usually try to shoot out as many resumes as I can, accompanied with a cover letter tailored to each individual company, which is a $h!t load of work. But even if you don't expect to hear back from them, you have nothing to lose by sending your resume to them anyhow.

As for location, don't limit yourself to where you are currently, unless its really disadvantageous for you to move elsewhere. I'm graduating in december and will be applying for jobs starting this summer, and I'm willing to move almost anywhere in North America if I have to. Lots of good companies pay for your moving expenses anyway.

some good advice :nice:

i ended up having a friend of a friend get me an internship and i got hired after that. it pays to work your ass off. I'm commuting 50 miles one way each day. about 1.25 hour drive each way. don't be afraid to drive, it sucks but usually the money is better if you commute to a more populated area.

im just looking into entry level management positions for now. As for location, I really need it in my location now so I can save money. This first job will pretty much be temporary since I already have plans to move to ocean city, md in late april/early may. But shhh no one needs to know that lol

Work with a temp agency if you are going to commute into the city. Otherwise just keep looking for what you are looking for. If you are serious about staying with the same company, look for a large company that could offer the ability to transfer to different locations if you are planning on moving. Otherwise, look where you are planning to move. Jumping around too much on a resume doesn't look good...
Good luck!

I think it also depends on the city itself. I sent out over 120 aps in about 3mo...not one interview...went to the University I grad. from and "payed" for the extra job search "plan" they had. Monster, hot jobs, paper, looking at companies websites. NOTHING.

Didnt help that in a 6mo span the city/area (St. Louis) lost some 60k jobs from a Ford plant closing, Met-life closing up a big part if its shop, and a few other companies leaving the city.

Out of the dozen or so people I know that grad. within a semester of me ALL have had issues. One was the TOP graduate in the nation for Actuarial science(sp?) and could not stay/find something in the town...even willing to take a LARGE paycut.

Knew a friend who had a sister-in-law who worked for Citigroup and talked to her. I applied (she had 0 influence in the job I got though) and got a job in a totaly diff. department...make that building. The pay SUCKS and its a really big company but the benifits and with time (I hope, busting my butt for the chance) the pay/job should change. It just sucks that with a Bach. degree its fighting tooth and nail for 10$ an hour. Hell 2 guys I know went back to delivering pizza's (both are going back to work on masters though) instead of making 11$hr but working 60-80hrs a week.

Anyway, enough about the ranting.

To me the most important thing is getting that work history...finding a job in your "field" would be a plus but what is it like 80%+ work in fields that were not thier major. You have to start somewere.

Networking 101

Ask everyone that you know/ have known / hope to know if they know of any jobs available. Also, ask your teachers from your major and see if they have any leads. Start to tap into the group of people that you know in the field that you are interested in. It will take a long time, but it is worth it in the end. All of the job web sites just lump you in with everyone else. You want to stand out!

By the way, as a manager at a big chain bookstore my wife hired more people with masters degrees than not (at $8.00/ hour:owned: )

If you have experience from a job that you worked through college you may be better off continuing that job and working on the side as an intern in the field you hope to break into.

Get creative!!

read the newspapers. factories are always hiring. ever heard of the recycle place waste management? i used to build their dumpsters/trucks in a factory back home. good money, over $500/week starting out.

can you weld? there's money to be had if you can, or can learn fast.