Joining the new job club

Well, I'm currently a manager at a local chuck e. cheese (not too bad for a 19 year old I suppose). I've been there about 3 years and I thought it was time for a change....soooo, I told them my last day was march 30th (I told them a month ago actually as not to screw them)

I'll be going to a place called Robert's Automotive. They do mainly mustangs and fords but are an all around repair shop. They also do a lot of performance installs....like the turbo kit they put on an 03 cobra that put out some crazy numbers. From what I've seen it's kinda hard for someone with no shop experience to get hired at a decent shop....but the owner is in the mustang club I'm in so I got lucky in that respect.

I'll take a slight paycut starting out while he learns where I'm at but it'll jump up soon.

Just thought I'd share

also....once I get another car I now have a shop I can use :D

• Sponsors (?)

Congrats :nice:

One thing I have really heard alot about is the lack of young quality (or that you can see the potential) wrenches. My father-in-law owns a snap-on franchise and has seen the shops/dealerships have a real lack of younger guys starting. The industry just does not seem to draw any younger people...who are looking into tech. and other type jobs it seems. The funny thing is the amount of tech. in the new cars demands people with those kinds of skills or ability to pick that up quick. That is not to say there is a metric $!HT ton of slack arse's wrencing away at chain tire stores giving a bad name to those that are good.

The wifes uncle is a sr. master at a dealership and took a manger aside who was giving a good young tech a hard time. He said "look around you dumbass, you do not see a kid that is as good as he is walking in the door like they used to"..."be nice to him or you will be left with no one when we leave in 5yrs or so".

I do not know what it is like in your area or if you plan on making it a career or not...just if it is like it is here. You can get some great exp. and if you get your certs there may be big hole to fill in a few years. Cars will always break down.

haha exactly. There are plenty of people that can change parts..that's the easy part. It's diagnosing them that a crapton of ppl can't do. I'm shooting to have my certifications in about a year (since I get a year from the tech school).

And you're exactly right. There is definitely a shortage of younger techs. Most shops/dealers around here all have ppl 40 and older with the exception of a handful of ppl. It can be very lucrative as long as you stay up to date with the changes and know what you're doing

Roberts did my clutch cable when it popped on me 3 months after moving to SC. It popped again a year and 3 days later and he replaced it free and covered the tow fee which was really cool of him. Whats weird is I asked about his shop after I had the work done on a local forum and well the things they said were pretty ruff. Kinda weird since I pass his shop almost every day and there are at least 8 stangs waiting for work to be done. Oh well good luck and congrats.